The Kirk/Spock Fanfiction Archive, a Star Trek fanfiction archive focusing on the relationship between Kirk and Spock, is being imported to the Archive of Our Own (AO3).
In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who have work on The Kirk/Spock Fanfiction Archive
- And what to do if you still have questions
The Kirk/Spock Fanfiction Archive was built on the eFiction software platform, which hasn’t been updated since 2005. In its current version, it is no longer supportable, nor supported by the developer, and is subject to constant security attacks. The archive moderator felt that the Archive of Our Own offered the best path forward to preserve these works.
The purpose of the Open Doors Committee’s Online Archive Rescue Project is to assist moderators of archives to incorporate the fanworks from those archives into the Archive of Our Own. Open Doors works with moderators to import their archives when the moderators lack the funds, time, or other resources to continue to maintain their archives independently. It is extremely important to Open Doors that we work in collaboration with moderators who want to import their archives and that we fully credit creators, giving them as much control as possible over their fanworks. Open Doors will be working with Killa to import The Kirk/Spock Fanfiction Archive into a separate, searchable collection on the Archive of Our Own. Eventually links to the old site will redirect to the collection on AO3, which can be searched and filtered in order to locate individual imported works.
We will begin importing works from The Kirk/Spock Fanfiction Archive to the AO3 after July 2021.
We will send an import notification to the email address we have for each creator. We’ll do our best to check for an existing copy of any works before importing. If we find a copy already on the AO3, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. After 30 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors. We will then permanently close down the site.
Please contact Open Doors with your Kirk/Spock Fanfiction Archive pseud(s) and email address(es), if:
- You’d like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archive.
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- You have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your Kirk/Spock Fanfiction Archive account, please contact Open Doors and we’ll help you out. (If you’ve posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they’re yours, that’s great; if not, we will work with the archive mod to confirm your claims.)
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on
- importing your works to the AO3
- adding your works to the new collection The Kirk/Spock Fanfiction Archive
We’d also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of The Kirk/Spock Fanfiction Archive on Fanlore. If you’re new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We’re excited to be able to help preserve The Kirk/Spock Fanfiction Archive!
– The Open Doors team and Killa