العربية • čeština • dansk • Deutsch • English • español • français • 한국어 • italiano • magyar • Nederlands • polski • português brasileiro • português europeu • Русский • suomi • svenska • 中文
Author’s note: You may have heard that the OTW is doing a “drive” this week. We wanted to make sure everyone knew what this thing was all about, so if you’re curious, you’ve come to the right place. Whatever your drive-related questions, we’re here to answer them. Happy reading!
What a drive (a.k.a. a donation/membership campaign) IS:
- a semiannual, week-long fundraising event to raise money for the OTW
- a way to encourage people to become OTW members
- the time when the OTW generates about 85% of its income. (The other 15% comes from donations given during the rest of the year.)
- the reason why the OTW is able to keep working on projects like AO3, Fanlore, Open Doors, and Legal Advocacy
- the reason those projects can continue helping fans all over the world
What a drive is NOT:
- an evil plot to take over the world, one donation at a time
- a way to raise money for individual people. In fact, the OTW is a nonprofit, and every cent you donate goes directly to operations. The OTW doesn’t pay any of its volunteers, staff, or Board members.
The elements that come together to create a drive:
- the OTW’s Development and Membership, Translation, and Communications committees (the people writing, translating, and publishing these posts and answering your emails about donations and premiums)
- spreading the word (the posts and graphics you see, the emails you get, and the stuff we share on social media)
- premiums (the thank-you gifts you can get for donating)
- a theme. (This drive’s theme is “Different Tropes for Different Folks”.)
None of this would be possible without your support. Please help us meet our goal of US$175,000 by donating today!