This position is only accepting applications from current OTW volunteers
Position Title: Policy & Abuse Volunteer
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Committee: Policy & Abuse
Reports to: Policy & Abuse Chair(s)
Time Requirements: 5 hours/week minimum; additional time for training may be required in the first few months.
Role overview: The Policy & Abuse committee helps to resolve issues with content that violates AO3’s Terms of Service. Policy & Abuse volunteers investigate user reports, answer questions about AO3 policies, and work with other Policy & Abuse volunteers and related committees to complete tasks and projects.
- Investigate Policy & Abuse reports submitted by AO3 users
- Review investigations performed by other Policy & Abuse volunteers
- Communicate with AO3 users to resolve complaints and enforce AO3 policies
- Respond to users in a courteous and professional fashion under all circumstances
- Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive material, including users’ personal information and details of all investigations
- Participate in discussions with other Policy & Abuse volunteers regarding individual cases and general policies
- Take on tasks within the committee appropriate to skills and experience, such as writing and proofreading external and internal documentation, training newer volunteers, providing proofreading and translations for tickets, etc.
- Learn new skills that may be necessary for fuller participation in the committee
- Communicate with the Policy & Abuse chair(s) and other volunteers regularly to keep them apprised of availability, progress on tasks, and any issues that arise that may impact committee work
- Experience with AO3 as a user required.
Skills and Attributes::
- Must be at least 18 years old and legally of age to work with explicit material in your local jurisdiction
- English language proficiency is required; additional language skills are an asset
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong respect for confidentiality and user privacy
- Ability to remain professional and patient when communicating with users
- Willingness to make difficult or unpopular decisions
- Ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative environment while completing individual responsibilities
- Willingness to accept and offer constructive criticism in a clear and helpful manner
- Ability to reliably meet deadlines, sometimes for unexpected and time-sensitive tasks
Training requirements: New Policy & Abuse volunteers will be trained in the tools, skills, and tasks required for their role. Due to the nature of the training and tools required, participation only via “mobile”-type devices (phone, tablet, etc.) may not be possible. Access to “desktop”-type devices (PC, laptop, etc.) highly recommended.