Position Title: TWC Committee Volunteer: Copyeditor
Reports to: TWC Committee staff
Time Requirements: 15-20 hours 3 times a year (January, April, July)
Term: 1 Year
Role overview: TWC copyeditors professionally copyedit submissions for Transformative Works and Cultures according to Chicago Manual of Style 17 (CMOS), Merriam-Webster online, and the TWC style guide.
- Copyedit TWC submissions according to CMOS 17, Merriam-Webster online, and the TWC style guide.
- Communicate with TWC production editor in a timely fashion about availability and task progress.
- Correspond with authors.
- Track due dates and follow up with unresponsive authors.
- Finish tasks by the proposed deadline.
- Candidates will be given a brief unpaid test.
- Deep familiarity with CMOS 17.
- Experience in academic copyediting online.
- Familiarity with a word-processing program, such as Word, to generate redlines.
- Precedence will be given to candidates with experience copyediting for university presses.
Skills and attributes:
- Proficiency in academic writing in English.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to complete projects within a set time period.
- Ability to deal in a professional manner with authors.
- Copyeditors will be trained in work flow and Open Journal Systems.