Position Title: News Translator
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Reports to: Translation volunteer managers
Time Requirements: 3-5 hours per week.
Term: 1 year.
Role overview: Translating and editing assigned documents pertaining to the OTW and its projects on short five-day deadlines, working collaboratively with teammates to make decisions, and occasionally consulting as a language expert for other ongoing projects run by Translation or other committees.
Date of position description review: May (annually)
- Working on a short turnaround and five-day deadlines.
- Translating and reviewing the assigned texts, respecting semantic accuracy, language flow and grammatical correctness.
- Communicating with Translation volunteer managers regarding availability, team decisions and assignments.
- Collaborate with fellow volunteers in a respectful manner, communicating civilly.
- Replying to emails and messages from Translation members in a timely fashion and participating in team discussions.
- May optionally assist AO3 Policy & Abuse and Support committees with tickets received in non-English languages.
- No prior OTW experience needed.
- No prior translating experience needed.
- Current OTW volunteers are welcome.
Skills and attributes:
- Proficiency in at least one language, as well as in English. Near-native fluency in the target language required.
- Reliable responsiveness to email communication.
- Transparency and availability when assessing and communicating with Translation volunteer managers regarding progress on assigned tasks and projects.
- Willingness to receive training in and adopt Translation processes and tools, and to learn new skills that may be necessary for fuller participation in the committee.
- Ability to work successfully alone and with other volunteers toward shared goals.
- Willingness to receive and review criticism and corrections.
- Willingness to give and explain clearly any criticism and corrections.
- Translators will receive training on the OTW structure, tools used in the Translation process and Translation workflows.