Position Title: Tag Wrangling Volunteer
Organisation name: Organization for Transformative Works
Committee: Tag Wrangling Committee
Reports to: Tag Wrangling Chair(s), Tag Wrangling Committee
Time Requirements: Variable (1+ hour/week, plus initial training time); must log in at least once every two weeks
Term: 1 year
Role overview: Tag wranglers work within the Archive to ensure that the varied forms of user-generated tags are sorted and filterable, without changing any of the specific tags the users choose, so that the archive users have an easier time finding the type of content they are looking for.
Date of position description review: Annually.
- Sort and link tags on the Archive of Our Own according to wrangling guidelines
- Participate in discussions about wrangling guidelines
- Communicate with supervisors and chairs about availability and any issues that arise that may impact wrangling work
- Respond to comments and wrangling-related communications in a timely manner
- Communicate respectfully with other wranglers, org volunteers and users
- Respect the privacy of other wranglers, org volunteers and users
Skills, experience and attributes:
- An Archive of Our Own account and familiarity with the Archive
- Legally of age to open explicit fanworks in your local jurisdiction.
- Fandom knowledge and/or research skills
- Ability to work as a team
- Commitment to diversity and willingness to work descriptively, not prescriptively, in order to respect user tag choices
- Flexibility to adapt to changing rules and guidelines as fits the needs of the Archive users
- Patience with the limitations of Archive tools
- Tag Wrangler volunteers will be trained in the tools, skills and tasks required for their role.
To volunteer as a Russian-speaking Tag Wrangler, you should:
- Read Tag Wrangling Work Description for information about what wranglers do.
- Be fluent in both English and Russian.
- Our training materials and website are in English. Machine translations are not accurate enough for a good understanding of our techniques and guidelines.
- Have at least 5 hours free time per week that you can consistently commit to wrangling for the next 3 months, as well as time that you can consistently commit to in the next year.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Follow the application directions carefully.
- There is a second part to the application. After submitting part 1, you will receive an email with part 2. Submit part 2 within 3 days of submitting part 1.
- If you do not receive an email with the Part 2 link, please contact Volunteers & Recruiting via the contact form.