Position Title: Support Staff
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Reports to: Support Chair(s)
Time Requirements: ~10 hours/week
Role overview: The Support team is responsible for handling the feedback and requests for assistance we receive from users of the Archive. We answer users’ questions, help to resolve problems they’re experiencing, and pass on information to and from coders, testers, tag wranglers and other teams involved with the Archive.
- Responsiveness – we aim to respond to users’ messages in a helpful, polite, and timely manner
- Transparency – we aim to be as open as possible to both users and other OTW committees
- Confidentiality – we are committed to respecting users’ privacy and handling sensitive information confidentially
- Answer Support requests (tickets).
- Attend meetings and participate in discussions outside of meeting times to further projects and activities of the committee. This includes participating asynchronously through email and a project managing platform, and synchronously through chat.
- Keep track of messages coming through on the Support mailing list and respond where appropriate.
- Take on tasks within the committee appropriate to skills and experience, which will mainly include writing and proofreading external and internal documentation.
- Learn new skills that may be necessary for fuller participation in the committee.
- Communicate with fellow staffers in regards to their progress on assigned tasks and projects.
- Work with other staffers inside or outside of Support to complete tasks and projects.
- Help develop policies for the committee in conjunction with other Support staff and related committees.
- Communicate with chairs in regard to availability, progress on tasks, and any issues that arise that may impact committee work.
- Expand and update the Support knowledge base as necessary
- Once out of training, Support staffers are expected to respond to ten (10) tickets a week (40 tickets a month), and should try to respond to fifteen (15) tickets a week (60 a month).
- Experience with AO3 as a user required.
- Experience in writing help documentation helpful, but not required.
Skills and attributes:
- English fluency required.
- Interest and ability in writing and proofreading/copyediting help documentation, experience in those preferred but not required.
- Ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative environment while completing individual responsibilities.
- Willingness to learn about the OTW, Support policies & procedures, and the platforms used by the OTW for internal and external communication.
- Ability to respond to users in a courteous and professional fashion under all circumstances.
- Fluency with languages other than English helpful but not required.
Training requirements: New Support staff will be provided information and training by the Support Chair(s) or other Support staff in each of the following areas:
- Support procedures and policies.
- Support Committee’s internal documentation.
- Support Committee’s software tools.
- Support’s basic tasks, including as many Support requests workflow walk-throughs as deemed necessary by the trainee.