Position Title: Fanlore Committee Social Media & Outreach Volunteer
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Committee/Workgroup: Fanlore Committee
Reports to: Fanlore Committee Chair
Time Requirements: 3-5 hours per week
Term: 1 year
Role overview: Fanlore Social Media & Outreach volunteers make plans for how best to promote Fanlore and help it reach new potential users, working closely with Fanlore’s graphic designers. They are responsible for planning and running Fanlore’s editing challenges, maintaining Fanlore’s social media channels, and thinking of ways to reach out to and engage with new corners of fandom.
- Brainstorm, plan and run activities and events to promote Fanlore, attract new editors to the wiki, and engage Fanlore’s user community.
- Compose, proofread and publish updates on Fanlore’s various social media channels.
- Devise new ways to use social media channels and posts to promote Fanlore and attract new editors, working closely with Fanlore’s graphic designers to plan appropriate graphics content.
- Write and maintain internal documentation relevant to Fanlore’s events, social media, and outreach efforts.
- Attend meetings and participate in discussions outside of meeting times via email and chat to advance the committee’s projects and activities.
- Communicate with fellow staffers with regards to their progress on assigned tasks and projects.
- Communicate with Fanlore chairs with regards to availability, progress on tasks, and any issues that arise that may impact committee work.
- Familiarity with Twitter and Tumblr (familiarity with other social networks is also useful)
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with Fanlore as a user
- Experience with social media management, community management or outreach
- Blogging, journalistic or media experience
Skills and attributes:
- English fluency
- Excellent organizational skills
- Good communication (writing) skills
- Interest in wikis, wiki editing and/or fandom history
- Knowledge of best practices or experience in social media preferred
- Ability to work independently on tasks to a deadline
- Ability to collaborate with a team to devise new ideas for, and approaches to, outreach.
Training requirements: New Fanlore Committee staff will be provided with information and training by the Fanlore Chair or other Fanlore Committee staff in each of the following areas:
- Fanlore social media accounts & management
- Fanlore Committee internal documentation
- Fanlore Committee software tools
- Fanlore Committee basic tasks