Position title: Fanlore Gardener
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Volunteer pool: Fanlore
Reports to: Fanlore Committee Chair
Time requirements: 1-3 hours per week
Term: 1 year
Role overview: Fanlore gardeners are wiki editors who monitor, clean up and organize content on Fanlore, and generally make sure everything is running smoothly. Gardeners watch the recent changes across the wiki to make sure the content added (or removed) is coherent, appropriate and properly organized. Through this process they also assist other contributors in using the wiki.
- Follow edits on the Recent Changes listing and check for content added or removed against Fanlore policies.
- Communicate with other Fanlore users about edits and discuss changes on talk pages as needed.
- Organize, move or delete content as needed to help keep Fanlore pages easy to browse
- Reply to requests and discussions in the gardeners mailing list.
- Communicate with Fanlore committee volunteers regarding policy issues, identity protection and other issues that may require escalation.
- Experience with Fanlore as an editor required
- Experience with wikis in general helpful, but not required
- Copyediting experience helpful, but not required
- Familiarity with “fair use” under United States copyright law helpful, but not required
Skills and attributes:
- English fluency.
- Interest in wikis and wiki editing.
- Interest and ability in writing and proofreading/copy editing content.
- Good written communication skills.
- Willingness to learn about the OTW, Fanlore, and our policies and procedures.
- Ability to interact with Fanlore editors, and occasionally other Fanlore users, in a polite and professional fashion.
New Fanlore gardeners will be provided with training material covering their additional wiki rights and tools, Fanlore policies, and escalation procedures.