Position Title: Elections Committee Staff Member: Public Relations Staff
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Committee/Workgroup/Volunteer Pool: Elections Committee
Reports to: Elections Chairs
Time Requirements: 5+ hours per week
Term: 1 year
Role Summary: Elections staff assist the Elections Chairs in tasks related to OTW Board elections. Public Relations Staff assist in the writing of external and internal posts, as well as committee responses to emails and submissions. They provide guidance to members of other specializations and Elections Chairs on how best to promote election events and announcements.
Elections Committee staff are not allowed to run for election for the year they serve in, nor to be a current member of the Board of Directors.
- Specialization Responsibilities:
- Provide guidance to the team and collaborate in the writing and review of public news posts, social media posts, and announcements.
- Guide the team in writing responses to email and support form submissions.
- Contribute to the development of a strategy that improves awareness among our membership/user base about the role and responsibilities of the OTW Elections Committee.
- Review external-facing content about the election process and emails sent to the committee, and provide advice on how the team can continue to promote positive engagement with the elections process
- Collaborate with Communication and Translation committees where necessary.
- Contribute to the creation and update of documentation of the committee procedures.
- General Committee Responsibilities:
- Attend at least two-thirds of all Elections Committee meetings.
- Participate in the writing of news posts, announcements and documentation.
- Participate in discussions about the elections process.
- Participate in monitoring and running of contested elections.
- Prior experience working with a non-profit organization is preferred but not required
- Prior involvement in fandom communities can be helpful
- Prior experience in public relations is preferred.
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent written communication skills in English
- Very good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well with other Elections volunteers and volunteers in other committees
- Willingness to provide advice to decision makers and accept when that advice is not acted upon
- Attention to detail
- Ability to adhere to confidentiality and neutrality requirements of the committee