Position Title: Development & Membership Volunteer
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Committee: Development & Membership
Reports to: Development & Membership Chair
Time requirements: 6+ hours per week (March, April, September, October), 4 hours per week otherwise
Term: 1 Year
Role Overview: The Development & Membership committee (DevMem) is the OTW’s primary fundraising body, responsible for the coordination of fund drives, convention outreach, and other activities designed to raise money and grow the OTW’s membership, as well as for the maintenance of donation and membership records. The Development & Membership Committee is responsible for facilitating fundraisers and communicating with members and donors. Committee members are expected to work together and separately to complete these goals.
- Fundraisers: The Development & Membership Committee is responsible for organizing fundraising for the organization. This includes, but is not limited to: writing promotional copy, compiling graphics, answering donor inquiries, and monitoring post comments.
- Communication: The Development & Membership Committee is responsible for writing and sending emails to members, coordinating outreach materials, answering donor inquiries, and communicating with members in general.
- Actively participate in the planning and execution of DevMem projects.
- Take on tasks within the committee appropriate to skills and experience. Examples include writing fundraising posts, researching potential vendors, responding to questions from donors, and designing promotional graphics.
- Attend meetings and participate in e-mail discussions outside of meeting times to further projects and activities of the committee.
- Help develop policies for the committee in conjunction with other DevMem volunteers or other organization personnel.
- Learn new skills that may be necessary for fuller participation in the committee, including attending specialized training as necessary.
- Work with other volunteers inside or outside of DevMem to complete tasks.
- Communicate with chair in regard to availability, progress on tasks, and any issues that arise that may impact committee work.
- Communicate with donors, members, and the general public in a polite and professional manner.
- Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive OTW material, including donors’ and members’ personal information.
- Communicating with DevMem volunteers and chairs in regards to progress on assigned tasks
- Participate in meetings (weekly on Slack)
- Draft and comment on responses to questions from donors
- Write promotional copy as needed for drive
- Respond to donor inquiries via email and post comments
- Help brainstorm new fundraising ideas
- Write and post meeting minutes on a rotating basis
- Prior OTW experience not required.
- Experience with fundraising, marketing, public relations, or data analysis is desirable, but not required.
- Experience with graphic design OR eCommerce OR nonprofit CRM management is highly desirable, but not required.
- Good people skills required, customer service background desirable
- Fundraising experience desired, but not required
Skills and attributes:
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities
- Writing and/or editing skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to give and receive feedback impartially
- Strong time management skills
- Commitment to treating confidential information ethically and responsibly
- Strong organizational/administrative skills
- Graphic design skills
- Experience with CRM software
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work well with others and meet deadlines
- Ability and willingness to maintain confidentiality
Training requirements: Development & Membership volunteers will be trained in all required tools, skills and tasks as detailed on the Development & Membership Volunteer Training Plan.