Position Title: Communications Chair Track Volunteer (CTV)
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Committee/Workgroup/Volunteer Pool: Communications
Reports to: Communications Co-Chairs
Time Requirements: 15-18 hours a week
Term: 6 months to 1 year
Role overview: The position of Chair Track Volunteer is designed for individuals with ample time to learn all aspects of Communications’ activities, and who would like to work toward being considered for the role of chair. Chair appointments are made by the OTW Board and are not guaranteed to individuals simply because they are on this track. CTVs may also choose to leave the chair track and remain on the committee as regular volunteers for whatever reason. However, the position is designed to prepare volunteers for such a position in 6-12 months and will involve a combination of assigned tasks, individual study and training, and shadowing of other volunteers.
Date of position description review: August 2017 (annually)
- Attend meetings and participate in discussions.
- Work with other volunteers inside or outside of Communications to draft posts.
- Learn new skills that may be necessary for fuller participation in the committees.
- Communicate with fellow volunteers about activities and plans in order to prepare for and fulfill communication needs.
- Help develop policies for Communications along with other organization personnel.
- Communicate with chairs in regard to availability, progress on tasks, and any issues that arise that may impact committee work.
- Undertake individual study of OTW activities, committees, and workflows so as to have a broad view of the organization and the role of Communications.
- Shadow the committee chair(s) and other volunteers to understand and be able to fulfill the various tasks performed by the committee.
- Familiarity with OTW news content required.
- High comfort level with learning new tasks and exploring new online platforms required.
- Experience with blogging, social media, public relations, or similar communication-related tasks preferred, but not required.
- Experience with recruitment or personnel work preferred, but not required.
- Experience with documentation work preferred, but not required.
- Prior OTW experience not required.
Skills and attributes:
- Demonstrated interest and ability in media and/or expository writing; proofreading/copyediting ability or experience preferred.
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment while completing individual responsibilities.
- Willingness to learn about the OTW, Communications policies & procedures, and the platforms used by the OTW for internal and external communication.
- Demonstrating initiative in undertaking projects and managing tasks.
- Organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to provide rapid turnaround to communications with parties inside and outside the committee.
- Maintains objectivity and professionalism in dealing with internal and external contacts.
Training requirements: The same as that of all Comms volunteers in the use of committee tools, posting sites, familiarity with OTW organizational areas and projects, and current discussions of organization needs and challenges. Additional training appropriate to taking on new roles will be provided.