Position Title: Communications Site Moderator
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Committee/Workgroup: Communications Committee
Time Requirements: 4-5 hours per week
Term: 1 year
The Communications Committee is the central information distributing arm of the OTW, responsible for the distribution of information internally to OTW personnel and externally to the general public, the media, fans, and other fannish organizations. Communications is also typically the first point of contact for someone interested in or wanting help from OTW. The committee is responsible for maintaining the OTW blog and social media outlets, developing and distributing the internal and external newsletters, and maintaining the events calendar on http://www.transformativeworks.org.
The Weibo moderator will be part of a small team maintaining the OTW’s presence on Weibo and acting as a key interface between our Chinese-language user community and the rest of the OTW (which conducts most of its business in English). The post requires an individual who is fluent in English and a Chinese language and has an interest in Chinese-language fandoms. A background in doing outreach or moderating an online site is helpful but not required. Familiarity with Weibo is required.
- Moderate Weibo account and create content.
- Develop plan for outreach to fan groups on the Weibo platform.
- Learn about OTW activities and internal organization in order to handle questions sent to the Weibo account.
- Attend meetings and participate in discussions outside of meeting times to further projects and activities of the committee.
- Keep track of messages coming through on the Communications mailing list and respond where appropriate.
- Take on tasks within the committee appropriate to skills and experience.
- Learn new skills that may be necessary for fuller participation in the committee.
- Communicate with chairs in regard to availability, progress on tasks, and any issues that arise that may impact committee work.
- Experience with site moderation, user outreach, public relations, or similar communication-related tasks preferred, but not required.
- Fluency in Mandarin/Cantonese and English required.
- Literacy in Simplified Chinese required.
- Familiarity with Weibo required.
- Prior OTW experience not required.
- Demonstrated interest and ability in media or proofreading/copyediting ability or experience preferred
- Translation experience preferred but not required
- Willingness to learn about the OTW, Communications policies & procedures, and the platforms used by the OTW for internal and external communication
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment while completing individual responsibilities
- New Communications staff will be provided information and training by the Communications Chair(s) in each of the following areas:
- OTW Basics – OTW & committee tools; general OTW overview
- Communications Policies & Procedures – overview of Communications responsibilities, policies & how-tos
- Communications Tasks – walkthrough of basic Communications tasks; additional training appropriate to special projects (if applicable)