Position Title: Communications Volunteer – Report Writer
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Reports to: Communications Chair(s); Communications Chair(s)
Time Requirements: Flexible: Average of 3-5 hours/week, varies depending on time of year.
Term: 1 year
Role overview: The Communications Committee is the central information distributing arm of the OTW, responsible for the distribution of information internally to OTW personnel and externally to the general public, the media, fans, and other fannish organizations. Communications is responsible for distributing both an internal and external newsletter monthly, as well as generating an Annual Report for the OTW.
The Report Writer is responsible for compiling, writing, and distributing both internal and external reports about Communications and Organization-wide activity, such as annual reports, statistics reports, and newsletters.
- Use templates to set up Writeboards for the newsletters.
- Notify committees about newsletter contributions and track responses.
- Follow the committee’s Graphics Guidelines policy.
- Distribute internal newsletters.
- Draft external newsletters based on internal newsletter content.
- Collect data from social media outlets about post performance.
- Analyze data to compile monthly statistics reports.
- Distribute statistics reports.
- Create the OTW’s Annual Report between January-May, working with Board and committee chairs.
- Keep track of messages coming through on the Communications mailing list and respond where appropriate.
- Attend meetings and participate in discussions outside of meeting times to further projects and activities of the committee.
- Communicate with chairs in regard to availability, progress on tasks, and any issues that arise that may impact committee work.
- Help develop policies for the committee in conjunction with other Communications volunteers or other organization personnel.
- General communications tasks such as distributing OTW News posts.
- Experience with blogging, social media, public relations, or similar communication-related tasks preferred, but not required.
- Experience with report writing preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of basic HTML coding required.
- Prior OTW experience not required.
Skills and attributes:
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated interest and ability in report writing; proofreading/copyediting ability or experience preferred
- Interest in learning about internal OTW operations.
- Willingness to learn about Communications policies & procedures, and the platforms used by the OTW for internal and external communication
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment while completing individual responsibilities.
Training requirements: New Communications volunteers will be provided information and training by the Communications Chair(s) in accordance with the Communications Training Plan.