Position Title: Communications Volunteer: Media Outreach
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Committee/Workgroup/Volunteer Pool: Communications
Reports to: Communications Chair(s)
5-7 hours per week
The Communications Committee is the central information distributing arm of the OTW, responsible for the distribution of information internally to OTW personnel and externally to the general public, the media, fans, and other fannish organizations.
Media Outreach volunteers will have monthly tasks, such as maintaining our Events Calendar and producing a report on our reader statistics. They will also have variable duties such as direct contact of individuals in the media, updating our PR plan, and assisting in the promotion of OTW events.
- Develop a list of contacts for distribution of information.
- Pitch a news story on a monthly basis.
- Assist in event promotion.
- Maintain the OTW Events Calendar and produce a monthly post.
- Produce a monthly internal report on readership statistics.
- Work with other volunteers inside or outside of Communications to complete tasks.
- Keep track of messages coming through on the Communications mailing list and respond where appropriate.
- Attend meetings and participate in discussions outside of meeting times to further projects and activities of the committee.
- Communicate with chairs in regard to availability, progress on tasks, and any issues that arise that may impact committee work.
- Help develop policies for the committee in conjunction with other Communications volunteers or other organization personnel.
- Experience with blogging, social media, or similar communication-related tasks required.
- Experience or coursework in public relations or journalism preferred but not required.
- Experience in creating artwork, graphics, videos, or podcasts helpful, but not required.
- Prior OTW experience not required.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with one or more of the OTW news outlet platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, LiveJournal, Dreamwidth) required.
- Demonstrated interest and ability in media and/or expository writing; proofreading/copyediting ability or experience preferred.
- Knowledge of best practices or experience in social media from an organizational perspective preferred.
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment while completing individual responsibilities.
- Willingness to learn about the OTW, Communications policies & procedures, and the platforms used by the OTW for internal and external communication.
New Communications volunteers will be provided with information and training by the Communications Chair(s) according to the Communications Training Plan.