Position Title: AO3 Documentation Editor
Committee: AO3 Documentation Committee
Reports to: AO3 Documentation Committee Chairs
Time Requirements: 2-6 hours a week.
Term: 1 Year
Role overview: AO3 Documentation Editors collaboratively write, review, and maintain AO3 user-facing documentation, such as the FAQs and Tutorials, and provide support to other AO3 committees with their documentation when needed.
- Write, review, and maintain the AO3 FAQs, tutorials, and other user-facing help documentation in collaboration with other AO3 Documentation committee members.
- Write, review, and maintain internal committee documentation.
- Select and work on tasks in accordance with committee workflow.
- Track coding developments to determine need for new or revised documentation.
- Test new and existing AO3 features to ensure accuracy of documentation.
- Proactively identify and create updates for missing and/or outdated information.
- Identify, discuss, and apply best practices for clear and accessible technical writing.
- Participate in discussions regarding committee policies, guidelines, and best practices.
- Communicate with chairs about availability and any issues that arise that may impact work.
- Personal experience using AO3 required.
- Experience in writing and proofreading/copy-editing documentation preferred (amateur experience qualifies).
- Collaborative editing experience desirable.
- Familiarity with HTML syntax desirable.
Skills and attributes:
- Proficiency in technical writing in English.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Self motivation and time management skills.
- Ability to accept and give constructive criticism.
- Ability to proactively identify needs and present ideas for improvement.
- Knowledge of best documentation practices helpful.
- Knowledge of writing accessible web content helpful.
- AO3 Documentation Editors will be provided with training and guidance in the required tools, tasks, and policies. This training is expected to last between one and two months, and will conclude with the trainee working through a real task under the mentorship of a chair. Part of it is expected to be completed individually through reading internal guides and procedures, and completing tutorials. The rest will be conducted through text-based chat sessions with other trainees and AO3 Docs chairs.