The older fanworks from Viggorli Secret Santa, a Lord of the Rings RPS fanfiction gift exchange focusing on the Viggo Mortensen/Orlando Bloom relationship, are being imported to the Archive of Our Own (AO3).
In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who have work(s) on the Viggorli Secret Santa exchanges
- And what to do if you still have questions
Viggorli Secret Santa has been running its annual gift exchange on AO3 since 2020. In an effort to consolidate all the older works (2004-2019) from the LiveJournal and Dreamwidth sites, the moderator has decided to move those works across to AO3 as well.
The purpose of the Open Doors Committee’s Online Archive Rescue Project is to assist moderators of archives to incorporate the fanworks from those archives into the Archive of Our Own. Open Doors works with moderators to import their archives when the moderators lack the funds, time, or other resources to continue to maintain their archives independently. It is extremely important to Open Doors that we work in collaboration with moderators who want to import their archives and that we fully credit creators, giving them as much control as possible over their fanworks. Open Doors will be working with rueckenfigur to import the older works of Viggorli Secret Santa into a separate, searchable collection on the Archive of Our Own. As part of preserving the archive in its entirety, all fanfiction currently archived as part of the Viggorli Secret Santa exchanges will be hosted on the OTW’s servers, and embedded in their own AO3 work pages.
We will begin importing works from Viggorli Secret Santa to the AO3 after April.
What does this mean for creators who have work(s) in the Viggorli Secret Santa exchanges?
We will send an import notification to the email address we have for each creator. We’ll do our best to check for an existing copy of any works before importing. If we find a copy already on the AO3, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. After 30 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors.
Please contact Open Doors with your Viggorli Secret Santa pseud(s) and email address(es), if:
- You’d like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archive
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- You have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your Viggorli Secret Santa account, please contact Open Doors and we’ll help you out. (If you’ve posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they’re yours, that’s great; if not, we will work with the Viggorli Secret Santa mod to confirm your claims.)
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on
- importing your works to the AO3
- adding your works to the existing collection Viggorli Secret Santa
If you still have questions…
If you have further questions, visit the Open Doors FAQ, or contact the Open Doors committee.
We’d also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of Viggorli Secret Santa on Fanlore. If you’re new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We’re excited to be able to help preserve the Viggorli Secret Santa gift exchanges!
– The Open Doors team and rueckenfigur