In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who had work on Thin Line and The Snape/Weasley Archive
- And what to do if you still have questions
Thin Line was a Severus Snape/Sirius Black fanfiction archive opened in 2001, that later expanded to include pairings with Severus Snape and any male members of the Black family. The Snape/Weasley Archive was a Harry Potter archive opened in 2001 that accepted fanworks that paired Severus Snape with any male member of the Weasley family.
Both archives were members of the Snape Slash Fleet, an association of archives centered around Severus Snape slash pairings. Both Thin Line and the Snape/Weasley Archive were taken offline in 2011, due to technical reasons. After a long delay, all files were found and the archives are being imported to the Archive of Our Own to avoid getting lost.
Open Doors will be working with Titti to import Thin Line and the Snape/Weasley Archive into separate, searchable collections on the Archive of Our Own. As part of preserving the archive in its entirety, all fanfiction and fanart currently in the Thin Line and The Snape/Weasley Archive will be hosted on the OTW’s servers, and embedded in their own AO3 work pages.
We will begin importing works from Thin Line and The Snape/Weasley Archive to the AO3 after March 2021.
We will send an import notification to the email address we have for each creator. We’ll do our best to check for an existing copy of any works before importing. If we find a copy already on the AO3, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. After 30 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors. We will then permanently close down the site.
Please contact Open Doors with your Thin Line and/or Snape/Weasley Archive pseud(s) and email address(es), if:
- You’d like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archive.
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- You have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your Thin Line or Snape/Weasley Archive account, please contact Open Doors and we’ll help you out. (If you’ve posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they’re yours, that’s great; if not, we will work with the Thin Line and Snape/Weasley Archive mod to confirm your claims.)
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on
- importing your works to the AO3
- adding your works to the new collections Thin Line and The Snape/Weasley Archive
We’d also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of Thin Line and The Snape/Weasley Archive on Fanlore. If you’re new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We’re excited to be able to help preserve the Thin Line and The Snape/Weasley Archive!
– The Open Doors team and Titti