In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who have work on The Basement, ScullySlash, or the Spooky Awards
- And what to do if you still have questions
The Basement is an X-Files m/m slash archive, while the Scully Slash Archive is an X-Files femslash archive with stories primarily focused on Dana Scully but all female X-Files characters are welcome. Works from these archives were also displayed at Red Light District (R rated & above) and the Slipper Archive (PG-13 rated and lower), depending on their rating.
The Spooky Awards were an annual fan-run event to recognize excellence in X-Files fan fiction, and the winners were archived by year on their own site.
The archives are being moved to AO3 to ensure the stories are always available and so that authors may have complete control of their own works.
Open Doors will be working with the moderator, alice ttlg, to import these three archives into separate, searchable collections on the Archive of Our Own. Eventually the links going to the old sites will re-direct to the collections on AO3 so the works can continue to be found with their old URLs.
We will begin importing works from The Basement, ScullySlash and the SpookyAwards to the AO3 collections in September 2016.
What does this mean for creators who have work(s) on The Basement, ScullySlash, or the Spooky Awards?
All works archived on the behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work. As we import works, we will e-mail notifications to the address associated with the work. Before we import, we’ll do our best to check the AO3 for an existing copy. If we find one, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. After 30 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors. Open Doors will then set up the URL redirects, and we will permanently close down the site.
Please contact Open Doors with your The Basement, ScullySlash, or the Spooky Awards pseud(s) and e-mail address(es), if:
- You’d like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archive
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- If you have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you’ve posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they’re yours, that’s great. If you don’t, we will work with the moderator to confirm your claims.
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on
- importing your works to the AO3
- adding your works to the new collections (The Basement, ScullySlash, SpookyAwards).
We’d also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of The Basement, ScullySlash, and Spooky Awards on Fanlore. If you’re new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We’re excited to be able to help preserve The Basement, ScullySlash, and the Spooky Awards!
– The Open Doors team