Call for Papers, Comics, Conferences, Fan Conventions, Fanfiction, Fannish Practices, Movies, Music, Television, Event
Welcome to our Events Calendar roundup for the month of September! The Events Calendar can be found on the OTW website and is open to submissions by anyone with news of an event. These can be viewed by event-type, such as Academic Conferences, Fan Events and Fests, Legal Events, OTW Events, or Technology Events taking place around the world.
Fandoms, Fanlore, Fannish Communities, Fannish Histories, Wiki Committee, Announcement
Fans are welcome to edit Fanlore at any time of the year, but this month the Wiki Committee is organizing a special event. Stub September is a challenge for everyone, newcomers and seasoned Fanlore editors alike, to pick a stub and expand on it. A stub is an article on Fanlore that is under-developed and missing important information.
Right now, there are over 1900 existing pages on Fanlore that are already identified as stubs. You can use the list to find a page where you know something about the topic, and edit the page to add your new information. Simple!
DMCA, Intellectual Property, Movies, News Media, Takedowns, Technology, News of Note
- The Japan News posted a story about how a Trans-Pacific Partnership crackdown could affect fanfiction publishing. "[T]he 12 nations engaged in the TPP negotiations are building a consensus that would allow for prosecution of copyright infringement without the need for a formal complaint, but instead based on reports from third parties or an independent judgement by an investigative authority." This contrasts with Japan's current system, "copyright infringement can only be investigated after a formal complaint from the creator of the original work or its rights holder."
Intellectual Property, Legal Committee, Spotlight
South Africa is considering adopting a fair use provision in its copyright law, and supporters want to ensure that the law actually protects fair use.
Books, Fandoms, Fanfiction, Fannish Communities, Music, Sports, Television, News of Note
At Nerd Reactor Genevieve LeBlanc wrote about the joy of fandom. "It was Simon Pegg that said that being a geek was 'a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating.' For me, it means I have the ability to take joy from small moments like these. The happiness is disproportional to the actual significance of the event; I got immense entertainment with friends about two Coke bottles sharing names with fictional characters. It’s absolutely meaningless, but being a nerd means that it gets to make me happy. And who can deny the benefit of a little extra happiness in our lives?"
Books, Fan Videos, Fanfiction, Fanfilms, Movies, News of Note
- Film School Rejects hosted an article discussing how fandom is affecting movie media sites. "The upsides to all of this are obvious if you’re the kind of fan who loves scoops, behind-the-scenes rumors, set photos, and every element of The Possible. The downsides are less obvious...The first is that conversations about older movies (including stuff from way, way back in 2014) are muted, and, in some cases, harder to find...The second is that we’re all asking to be lied to. In the past decade, movie news has devolved from done deals to rumors."
Journal Committee, Translation Committee, Announcement
We would like to thank everyone who responded to our previous call for Internationalization & Outreach Staff and Tag Wranglers.
Today, we're excited to announce the opening of applications for:
- Journal Committee Staff: Production Assistant - closing 24 August 2015 UTC
- Journal Committee Volunteer: Layout Editor - closing 24 August 2015 UTC
- Translation Volunteer - closing 24 August 2015
We have included more information on each role below. Open roles and applications will always be available at the volunteering page. If you don't see a role that fits with your skills and interests now, keep an eye on the listings. We plan to put up new applications every few weeks, and we will also publicize new roles as they become available.
All applications generate a confirmation page and an auto-reply to your e-mail address. We encourage you to read the confirmation page and to whitelist volunteers -(at)- transformativeworks -(dot)- org in your e-mail client. If you do not receive the auto-reply within 24 hours, please check your spam filters and then contact us.
If you have questions regarding volunteering for the OTW, check out our Volunteering FAQ.
Academia, Books, Conferences, Entertainment Industries, Music, Studies, YouTube, News of Note
The University of Leicester announced a conference on Fandom and Religion. "'Fandom is a major activity today: people’s passions become major commitments, and fans start seeming like religious devotees,' says Dr Clive Marsh, Director of Lifelong Learning at the University of Leicester, who is one of the organisers. 'I am particularly interested in researching the intensity with which people exercise their fandom, and how this signals the meaning and purpose that people find in, and through, their fan activity. Functionally at least, this can prove to be very similar indeed to religious practice.'”
Anime and Manga, Books, Cosplay, Fan Videos, Fanfiction, Race, Ethnicity, and Nationality, News of Note
- An article at Huffington Post featured interpretations of Harry Potter characters that raceswapped their movie representations. "For many artists, Hermione's vague physical description has presented an opportunity to represent the character very differently. Instead of the 'bushy' hair JK Rowling often describes in the books, maybe she has kinky-curly hair. Instead of simply being tan, maybe she has dark brown skin. A black Hermione Granger isn't just a chance to see something new, but an opportunity to create a more complex reading of the book series, which has political themes that draw parallels between the Death Eaters and racist hate groups."
Books, Fanfiction, Movies, Open Doors, Open Doors Committee, Announcement
Bahasa Indonesia • català • dansk • Deutsch • English • español • italiano • magyar • Nederlands • polski • português brasileiro • Русский • svenska
The Seamus/Dean Forever Archive, a Harry Potter fanworks archive devoted to the Seamus Finnigan/Dean Thomas pairing, is being imported to the Archive of Our Own (AO3).
In this post: