As our previous post announced the Organization for Transformative Works is sponsoring a variety of activities celebrating International Fanworks Day (IFD) today. Please check that post for details!
We’re also hosting a 29-hour party in the OTW’s Public Discussion chatroom from 23:00 UTC 14 February to 04:00 UTC 16 February. Join us to take part in games, or chat and share fanworks with fellow fans. All times below are in UTC. Click the link to see the time in your timezone
- 23:30 – Linkee — Claudia Rebaza (OTW Communications), host
- 01:00 – Trivial Pursuit — Kirsten Korona (OTW Communications), host
- 02:45 – That’s Life — Kirsten Korona (OTW Communications), host
- 04:00 – Lyrics Round Robin – Janita Burgess (OTW Communications), host
- 05:15 – 20 Questions – Janita Burgess (OTW Communications), host
- 07:00 – Poetry Round Robin — Pokestine (AO3 Tag Wrangling), host
- 08:15 – Trivial Pursuit — Pokestine (AO3 Tag Wrangling), host
- 10:00 – That’s Life — Anhaita (OTW Translation), host
- 11:30 – Linkee — Anhaita (OTW Translation), host
- 13:00 – 20 Questions — Adi (OTW Translation), host
- 14:45 – 5 Things — Adi (OTW Translation), host
- 16:00 – Trivial Pursuit — Silarona (OTW Translation), host
- 17:15 – That’s Life — Silarona (OTW Translation), host
- 19:00 – 20 Questions — Poro (OTW Translation), host
- 20:15 – 5 Things — Poro (OTW Translation), host
- 22:00 – Lyrics Round Robin — C. Ryan Smith (OTW Development & Membership), host
- 23:15 – Poetry Round Robin — C. Ryan Smith (OTW Development & Membership), host
- 01:00 — Linkee — Janita Burgess (OTW Communications), host
- 03:00 — Countdown — Claudia Rebaza (OTW Communications), host
To keep things manageable the chat room has a 50-person limit at any one time, so if you’re unable to get in for one event, do try another.
Details About the Games
How to Play: During this game the host will name a topic and players in the room will call out examples from their favorite fandoms. This will repeat for at least 5 rounds. Be prepared to explain why your answer counts (maybe you’ll recruit someone new to your fandom!)
How to Play: Host thinks of a person, place or thing. The first person in the room roster (on the upper right side) gets to ask a question that the host will answer with a YES or NO.
As soon as the host replies, the next person on the list can ask their question. Players can call out a guess at any time but the host will only answer if it’s correct so that the next person gets their turn.
The game will continue until someone has guessed the person, place or thing.
How to Play: The host has a list of 7 clues. After they type each clue into the chat room, people can guess what the answer is. If no one guesses, the host offers the next clue. The game will continue until someone has guessed the person, place or thing BUT the sooner someone guesses the answer, the more points they will get! After 3 rounds the person with the most points wins.
How to Play: The host will read a clue and each player should guess (to themselves — shhh!) what the answer is that fits into the [BLANK]. The host will then read 2 more clues. After each one players can call out a guess about what they think links the clues together.
The first person to guess correctly gets a point. When we have completed all 10 clue sets the person with the most points wins.
Lyrics Round Robin
How to Play: During this game we’ll collectively write FANDOM lyrics to replace those of a familiar song. The host will choose the song and type out an alternate first line. Then those in the room will write the next lines until the song is finished.
Poetry Round Robin
How to Play: During this game we’ll write a FANDOM poem. The host will choose a style (limerick, haiku, sonnet, or ghazal) and post the first line. Then those in the room will write the next lines until the poem is finished.
How to Play: The host will offer two questions. Participants should each name a character that they know well and will then share how that character would answer the questions. For each round, participants will name a different character each time and answer questions for that character. We’ll have 5 minutes for you to come up with answers to each set of questions
How to Play: Like most trivia games, the host will ask a question and the first person to answer correctly wins that round. Because we’re online and you’re free to do searches we’re going to add another factor, which is time — you must answer within 3 minutes. But you can call out your answer as soon as you think you know. If you have the correct answer the host will type your name and award you a point. At the end of the game, whoever has gotten the most points will be named the winner!
We also want to hear from you about other celebrations taking place today. Leave us a comment here to tell us about what your fandom communities are hosting!