As our previous post announced the OTW is sponsoring a variety of activities celebrating International Fanworks Day (IFD) today. Please check that post for details!
We’re also hosting a 30-hour party in the OTW’s Public Discussion chatroom from 23:00 UTC 14 February until 05:00 UTC 16 February. Join us to take part in games, or chat and share fanworks with fellow fans. All times below are in UTC. Click the link to see the time in your timezone
- 23:30 – Linkee — Claudia Rebaza (OTW Communications), host
- 02:30 – Cards Against Humanity – Janita Burgess (OTW Communications), host
- 03:00 – Poetry Round Robin – Angel Fang (OTW Translation), host
- 05:15 – That’s Life – Karen R. (OTW Communications), host
- 07:00 – 20 Questions — Karen R. (OTW Communications), host
- 08:15 – Lyrics Round Robin — Pokestine (AO3 Tag Wrangling), host
- 09:45 – 20 Questions — Pokestine (AO3 Tag Wrangling), host
- 11:15 – That’s Life — Ian (OTW Translation), host
- 12:45 – Trivial Pursuit — Ian (OTW Translation), host
- 14:15 – Lyrics Round Robin — Sarah Loch (OTW Communications), host
- 15:30 – That’s Life — Sarah Loch (OTW Communications), host
- 17:15 – Cards Against Humanity — Sandra Staunch (OTW Communications), host
- 17:45 – Poetry Round Robin — Neymat (AO3 Documentation), host
- 20:15 – Trivial Pursuit — Art (AO3 Accessibility, Design & Technology), host
- 23:15 – Cards Against Humanity — Janita Burgess (OTW Communications), host
- 23:45 – 20 Questions — Kirsten Korona (OTW Communications), host
- 02:30 – Linkee — Claudia Rebaza (OTW Communications), host
Details About the Games
How to Play: Host thinks of a person, place or thing. The first person in the room roster (on the upper right side) gets to ask a question that host will only answer with a YES or NO.
As soon as the host replies, the next person on the list can ask their question. Players can call out a guess at any time but the host will only answer if it’s correct so that the next person gets their turn.
The game will continue until someone has guessed the person, place or thing.
Cards Against Humanity
How to Play: Once the game starts, the computer will deal each player ten White (answer) Cards. Your host is the Czar, who will then play a Black (question) Card.
Choose your ‘best’ White Card answer by clicking ‘Select’ on the card. Once everyone has submitted an answer the Czar picks the funniest play and the computer will award whoever submitted it an Awesome Point.
After the round, a new player becomes the Card Czar, and everyone draws back up to ten White Cards.
* Note: The CAH room is limited to 30 players so other discussion and games will go on in the Public Discussion room in the meantime.
How to Play: The host will read a clue and each player should guess (to themselves — shhh!) what the answer is that fits into the [BLANK]. The host will then read 2 more clues. After each one players can call out a guess about what they think links the clues together.
BUT if they guess wrong, they have to drop out of the game until we’re done! The first person to guess correctly gets a point. When we have completed all 12 clue sets the person with the most points wins.
Lyrics Round Robin
How to Play: During this game we’ll collectively write FANDOM lyrics to replace those of a familiar song. The host will choose the song and type out an alternate first line. Then the next person in the room roster (on the upper right side of the chat window) will write the next line until the song is finished.
Poetry Round Robin
How to Play: During this game we’ll write a FANDOM poem. The host will choose a style (limerick, haiku, sonnet, or ghazal) and post the first line. Then the next person in the room roster (on the upper right side of the chat window) will write the next line. Once the poem is complete, the next person on the roster list will start the round over again so everyone attending the chat is included.
How to Play: The host will offer three questions. Participants should each name a character that they know well and will then share how that character would answer the three questions. For each round, participants will name a different character each time and answer three questions for that character. We’ll have 10 minutes for you to come up with answers to each set of questions
How to Play: Like most trivia games, the host will ask a question and the first person to answer correctly wins that round. Because we’re online and you’re free to do searches we’re going to add another factor, which is time — you must answer within 3 minutes. But you can call out your answer as soon as you think you know. If you have the correct answer the host will type your name and award you a point. At the end of the game, whoever has gotten the most points will be named the winner!
There will be 4 games offering prizes of a ripstop nylon bag in red with a matching compact pouch. The bag is imprinted with the OTW logo in white.
To keep things manageable the chat room has a 50-person limit at any one time, so if you’re unable to get in for one event, do try another.
We also want to hear from you about other celebrations taking place today. Leave us a comment here to tell us about what your fandom communities are hosting!