In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who had work on either archive
- And what to do if you still have questions
From 2002 until 2016, GilmoreGirlsAdultFic strove to be a safe place for writers to write about their favorite Gilmore Girls couples without the limitations of the most prominent fic archive of the time, but also provided moderation and proper rules so that those who only wished to write misogynistic works about the Girls were not welcome. Though time has passed and Yahoo Groups no longer exists, the fandom and their ardor to see more about their characters than what broadcast television allowed has not.
From 2001 until 2016, GilmoreGirlsSlash was a mailing list which encompassed all femslash and slash couplings in Gilmore Girls, and stories from authors who saw the chemistry between Rory and Paris, along with Lorelai and her various flirtations with women. The fandom which ships these incredible and fulfilling women has not disappeared.
As the founder and moderator of GilmoreGirlsAdultFic, and the moderator of GilmoreGirlsSlash for nearly its entire existence, Nathan Schimpf is proud to see these stories have a permanent home on the Archive, and hopes that future generations will see what works this series inspired during its original run and many years in syndication and on Netflix.
Open Doors will be working with Nathan to import these archives into separate, searchable collections on the Archive of Our Own.
We will begin importing works from Gilmore Girls Adult Fic and Gilmore Girls Slash to the AO3 after March 2021.
We will send an import notification to the email address we have for each creator. We’ll do our best to check for an existing copy of any works before importing. If we find a copy already on the AO3, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. After 30 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors.
Please contact Open Doors with your Gilmore Girls Adult Fic or Gilmore Girls Slash pseud(s) and email address(es), if:
- You’d like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archives
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- You have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your Gilmore Girls Adult Fic or Gilmore Girls Slash account, please contact Open Doors and we’ll help you out. (If you’ve posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they’re yours, that’s great; if not, we will work with Nathan to confirm your claims.)
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on
- importing your works to the AO3
- adding your works to the new collections Gilmore Girls Adult Fic or Gilmore Girls Slash
We’d also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of Gilmore Girls Adult Fic and Gilmore Girls Slash on Fanlore. If you’re new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We’re excited to be able to help preserve Gilmore Girls Adult Fic and Gilmore Girls Slash!
– The Open Doors team and Nathan Schimpf