Welcome to our Events Calendar roundup for the month of April! The Events Calendar can be found on the OTW website and is open to submissions by anyone with news of an event. These can be viewed by event-type, such as Academic Events, Fan Gatherings, Legal Events, OTW Events, or Technology Events taking place around the world.
- This month, bring us fannish April showers by digging out those old zines, memories of past cons, archived personal webpages, tales of shipwars and fannish events, works on slowly-decaying archives, and more! Upload your old works to the AO3 and tell your tales on Fanlore.
2014 Supanova Conventions are kicking off this April in Gold Coast April 4-6 and Melbourne April 11-13.
Comic-con, Australian style! Supernova is where the adoring public comes face to face with Supa-Star celebrities and the creative talent that inspire their imaginary worlds under one big roof. The event includes comic books, animation, science-fiction, TV/movies, toys, gaming, fantasy, technology, books, internet sites and fan-clubs, the result is an amazing atmosphere tailor made for expressing your inner geek and where getting into cosplay is an obvious thing to do. Notable Guests at both events include Peter Mayhew, Lucy Lawless, Gethin Anthony, and many more!
- International Quidditch Association World Cup VII the IQA’s championship tournament is an international event featuring the best 80 teams in the sport, held annually since 2007.Quidditch is a co-ed contact sport with a unique mix of elements from rugby, basketball, and dodgeball. A quidditch team is made up of seven athletes who play with brooms between their legs at all times. World Cup VII will be held on April 5-6, 2014, at the brand-new North Myrtle Beach Park and Sports Complex in North Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Conglomeration 2014 is Louisville, Kentucky’s own fan-run multimedia science fiction and fantasy convention and has been held off and on since 2001. This year the convention will take place April 11-13 2014. It includes an Art Show, Game Room, Dealer’s Room, Masquerade and more and features various science fiction and fantasy authors and artists as guests of honor.
- Keen to add your fannish memories to Fanlore but not sure where to start? Need your hand held as you make your first wiki edits? Or keen to share your skillz as an experienced Fanlore editor? On Saturday, 19 April, beginning at 20:00 UTC come to the Fanlore chatroom for The April Showers editing party on Fanlore. You’ll be able to get help making your first forays into editing Fanlore, toss around ideas for new pages, and ask questions. Everyone is welcome!
- OTW’s Open Doors committee will be holding two public chats on the import of the Yuletide archives to the AO3. The first will be held on April 26, at 4pm UTC.
A Call for Papers this month comes from Anime and Manga Studies Symposium. Papers are welcome on all aspects of Japanese popular culture and the worldwide anime/manga fandom’s activities and practices. Participants in the Symposium will be able to meet leading scholars at the Anime Expo convention in Los Angeles, CA, on July 3-6, contribute to the developing “anime and manga studies” community, present their work to an interested and appreciative audience, and interact directly with anime fans from around the world. Presentations on transformative works and cultures have always been welcome at the Symposium. Submit abstracts by May 1, 2014.
This month we have also received a request for research participation from Dr Emerald King of the School of Languages and Cultures, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
The research results will be presented at the “Women and their Comics” symposium to be held at the Comix Home Base, Hong Kong in March 2014. Eventually the findings of the study will be used as the basis for a book project looking at costume in anime, manga and JRPGS.
This study has been approved by the Victoria University of Wellington Human Ethics Committee and a consent form is available at the start of the survey, which can be accessed at the SurveyMonkey website.
If you have any questions you may contact Emerald at +64 4 463 5293 during office hours: 9.00 am-4.30 pm (NZDT) Monday to Friday, or directly on +64 463 6467 during office hours: 10.00 am-6.00 pm (NZDT) Monday, Wednesday, Friday or via email: emerald.king [at] vuw.ac.nz
If you have requests for research participation, please view our policy for inclusion at our website.