Position Title: Elections Committee Staff Member: Communication Specialist
Organization name: Organization for Transformative Works
Committee: Elections Committee
Reports to: Elections Chairs
Time requirements: 5+ hours per week
Term: 1 year
Role Overview: Elections staff assist the Elections Chairs in tasks related to OTW Board elections. Communications Specialists are the lead writers and editors of the committee. They are responsible for the quality of public news posts and large announcements. All elections staff assist in committee-wide activities and basic level tasks in addition to the work in relation to their specialization.
Elections Committee staff are not allowed to run for election for the year they serve in, nor to be a current member of the Board of Directors.
- Guide the team in the writing and review of public news posts, social media posts, and announcements.
- Review all public posts and large internal announcements for clarity.
- Collaborate with Communication and Translation committees on timely posting of election-related news.
- Coordinate the timely posting of large internal announcements.
- If requested, assist candidates in preparation of public facing documents, such as biographies and platforms (in collaboration with Candidate Liaisons).
- Coordinate the creation and update of documentation of the committee procedures.
General Committee Responsibilities:
- Attend at least two-thirds of all Elections Committee meetings.
- Participate in the writing of news posts, announcements and documentation.
- Participate in discussions about the elections process.
- Participate in monitoring and running of contested elections.
- Prior experience working to deadlines is preferred but not required.
- Prior experience writing any form of non-fiction for publication or editing for publication can be helpful.
- Prior experience in tech or spec writing can be helpful.
- Prior experience in documentation writing can be helpful.
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent written communication skills in English
- Strong editing skills
- Willingness to accept critique of written work
- Ability to adhere to confidentiality and neutrality requirements of the committee
- Ability to work well with other committees
- Attention to detail
- Reliability on deadlines
- Organizational skills
Elections Committee Staff will receive training in OTW Tools and procedures following the Elections Committee Staff Training Plan.