ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING 13 December 2014, 14:00 UTC
PRESENT: • Andrea Horbinski
• Eylul Dogruel
• Jessica Steiner
• M. J. MacRae
• Soledad Griffin
ABSENT: Cat Meier
DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
1. Approved minutes of 29 November.
1. Financial report
29-Nov-14 6-Dec-14 13-Dec-14 Change
Checking 283050.55 282109.00 279349.54 -2759.46
PayPal 14741.66 18099.19 19023.27 924.08
CD 10138.08 10138.08 10138.08 0.00
Total 307930.29 310346.27 308510.89 -1835.38
The change column is only between last week and this one. The major expense was colocation, with others for shipping premiums and packaging materials for that, Basecamp, and Support and Abuse’s new RT system.
2. Discussion of incident at the end of last week’s open session. Andrea Horbinski apologized publicly for her unprofessional conduct. Eylul Dogruel apologized on behalf of the Board and offered her assurances as incoming President that the matter has been dealt with.
3. Discussion of request from Systems for clarification about pre-authorization for temporary emergency increases in Archive bandwidth as needed–Board granted a temporary authorization during the membership drive, but it was not utilized. Last week someone downloading every work on the Archive as an epub nearly overwhelmed the Archive bandwidth. AD&T is discussing options with our hosting provider to prevent such behavior in the future, but not all spikes in bandwidth load are malicious (i.e. Yuletide works getting linked by media outlets, for example). Board voted to grant Systems the discretion to increase bandwidth as an emergency, temporary measure to keep the Archive from crashing as needed. The temporary increase may last up to a week before authorization for further expenditures is needed from Board.
1. Approved kiki-eng to serve as co-chair of Internationalization & Outreach.
2. Discussed response to AD&T pre-proposal concerning a coding contractor for the Archive in 2015 to give incoming directors background–the initial discussion took place before they received mailing list access.
3. Discussed obsolete writeboards on Board projects with an eye to either deleting them or retaining their content in more appropriate locations elsewhere, i.e. the wiki, etc.
The meeting was adjourned at 16:30 UTC.
Minutes approved by the Board on 18 December 2014.