Organization for Transformative Works – Board of Directors
Minutes of the meeting: September 09, 2019, 17:00 UTC
Claire P. Baker
Lex De Leon
Priscilla Del Cima
Decisions taken since the last meeting
- Approved last meeting minutes.
- Approved the 2019 budget and the budget update.
- Approved various state filing fees and representation expenses.
- Approved a payment request for our 2019 Director & Officer liability insurance.
- Approved payment for the first half of the 2018 audit fee.
- Approved the new goals for the Organization’s next Strategic Plan.
- Approved Volunteers & Recruiting’s draft of a recruitment plan for the entire org.
- Approved the induction of new chairs for Communications, Volunteers & Recruiting, Open Doors and Tag Wrangling!
- Approved new staff for AO3 Docs, Support, DevMem, Systems, Translation, Volunteers & Recruiting, and Strategic Planning.
- Approved a payment request for additional work on the AO3 Ruby update.
- Approved the payment to move redis on to a dedicated server which would allow for easier maintenance on our mysql servers.
- Approved DevMem’s request to create a Con Outreach work group.
- Approved payment of the annual elections software fee, and support fee.
- Approved payment for TWC’s website hosting for its online journal.
- Approved Legal’s request to submit a panel proposal to San Diego Comic Con.
- Approved Legal’s request to file amicus briefs in a case called ComicMix, about a mashup between Dr. Seuss & Star Trek (“Oh, the Places You’ll Boldly Go!”).
- Approved Legal’s request to send a submission related to New Zealand’s review of its Copyright Act.
- Approved Legal’s request to join in an ad that oppose some bad proposed New York right of publicity legislation.
- Approved Legal’s request to sign on to a set of lawmaking principles surrounding Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act (which provides a safe harbor for platforms such as the AO3 for user-posted material for things like defamation and obscenity, the same way that the DMCA does for copyright).
- Approved Legal’s request to join a letter to Congress opposing new copyright legislation that would create a “small claims” court inside the Copyright Office.
- Approved Legal’s request to join an amicus brief drafted by Public Knowledge in the case of Smith v. Drake.
- Meeting officially began with welcoming the new members of the board, Kirsten Wright and Rebecca Sentance, whose terms will begin October 1.
- That was followed by thanking outgoing members Priscilla Del Cima, and Kristina Busse for their service and hard work while on the board.
- Elections were held for President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- Since the Treasurer is held by the chair of the Finance Committee, that will remain Yuechiang Luo. The vote to approve was unanimous.
- Lex De Leon was nominated to take over as Secretary, and again the vote to approve was unanimous.
- Natalia Gruber was nominated to be president, and again the vote was unanimous.
- There was a brief celebration of winning the Hugo Award.
- Congratulations to AD&T for their co-creator deploy the previous day.
The meeting was adjourned at 14:50 UTC
Minutes approved by the Board on 28/06/2020