ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING 2 May 2015, 14:00 UTC
PRESENT: • Andrea Horbinski
• Jessica Steiner
• M. J. MacRae
• Soledad Griffin
GUESTS: • Dai-kun
• Lady Oscar
ABSENT: Eylul Dogruel, Cat Meier
DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
1. Approved minutes of 10 April 2015.
2. Approved Legal filing to oppose the registration of a trademark relating to the term “fandom” with the U.S. Trademark office. The Board has also granted Legal the discretion to ask the would-be registrants to disclaim the term “fandom”; if the registrants do so, the OTW’s opposition to the registration will be dropped.
3. Engaged legal counsel on a pro bono basis to advise the Board in relation to matters of nonprofit and/or tax-exempt organization law.
4. Approved a proposal from AO3 Documentation to test Slack for the workgroup.
1. The first 2015 fundraising drive is ongoing, with a goal of $100,000 USD. Huge thanks to DevMem, the Treasurer, and all the committees who have already put in a lot of hard work to make the drive possible.
2. Finance report from 25 April:
17-Apr-15 25-Apr-15 Change
Checking 250411.4 248488.07 -1923.33
PayPal 30654.89 31850.29 1195.40
CD 10140.42 10141.02 0.60
Total 291206.71 290479.38 -727.33
from Sanders: “Payments for the week to machinery insurance premium (company set payments as four installments), NA server colocation, analytic software service for Archive, software support service for member/donor database.”
3. Question about updating the open Board agenda on the internal wiki page, which has gotten out of date.
1. Approved dates and location for the 2015 annual meeting. Discussed preliminary list of committees from which to invite representatives and possible general meeting themes.
2. Discussed the Journal press proposal. A vote will take place after the next chat between representatives from Journal, Legal, the Board, the Treasurer, and the OTW’s pro bono tax law counsel.
The meeting was adjourned at 16:00 UTC.
Minutes approved by the Board on 17 May 2015.