Board Meeting Minutes: July 6, 2013

ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
6 July 2013, 05:00 UTC

PRESENT: Andrea Horbinski, Cat Meier, sanders (non-quorate)

GUESTS: none

ABSENT: Eylul Dogruel, Kristen Murphy, Ira Gladkova, Franzeska Dickson

DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING

1. The Board elected Ira Gladkova to serve as president and Cat Meier to serve as vice president for the remainder of the 2013 term. (As mentioned in the minutes of 22 June, former president Kristen Murphy has transitioned into the role of secretary previously held by Ira.)

2. The Board approved a proposal from the staff of the Fanhackers project, which has been operating under the aegis of the Journal committee, to become a committee in their own right. We noted that formal guidelines for the process of founding new committees are currently in a draft stage, and discussed referring Fanhackers to the draft as a resource during the transition.

OPEN SESSION

1. Internationalization & Outreach is busily interviewing candidates to become new committee members.

2. Category Change is finalizing the public post and accompanying FAQ for the public announcement of their proposal.

3. Finance update (see chart below).

29-Jun 6-Jul Difference
BoA 137293.67 137006.45 287.22
PayPal 10563.28 11149.45 586.17
CD 10100.22 10100.22 0.00
Total 157957.17 158256.12 298.95

4. Strategic Planning is moving along as usual with interviews.

CLOSED SESSION

1. There was a discussion of eliminating the 05:00 UTC Board meeting time (the time of this meeting). It is optimized for a time zone that is no longer represented among the Board members, and it’s difficult to get quorum because it’s a time when many Board members are normally asleep. Staff attendance is also very low during this time slot. All present at the meeting were in favor of this change; Cat will send an e-mail to solicit input from the rest of the Board.

2. Discussion of a proposal that multi-committee discussions should be conducted via Basecamp rather than e-mail. This was suggested by Communications in April and the Board liked the idea; Communications subsequently produced a formal proposal. The topic has languished for a while and we discussed next steps for moving it forward.

3. Discussion of a proposal from AD&T regarding engaging an outside contractor to work on specific coding projects to reduce technical debt on the Archive. Sanders will follow up with mumble to clarify the proposed number of contract hours per month.

The meeting was adjourned at 06:10 UTC.

Minutes approved by the Board on 12 September 2013.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.