ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
July 28th, 2012, 14:00 UTC
PRESENT: Ira Gladkova, Julia Beck, Jenny Scott-Thompson, Kristen Murphy.
GUESTS: Aja, Elz, Eylul, Feng, Sam Johnson, Lady Oscar.
ABSENT: Nikisha Sanders, Naomi Novik, Francesca Coppa.
DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
- We approved some old minutes from 2007 for public posting.
- We finalized and posted our decision on the 2012 election.
- We discussed theories around organisational structure, cf. closed session below.
- We approved approaching two potential candidates for chair positions.
- We agreed to publish our Conflict of Interest and Gift Acceptance policies on the website once they have been slightly revised.
- We agreed to Ira posting her summary of elections 2011 issues in her role as 2011 Elections Officer as a personal post to the OTW blog, pending some discussion.
- Systems and Wiki need a PHP expert to be added to the Wiki team, so that Systems are not doing development work. We asked a volunteer with WikiMedia contacts to help with targeted recruiting.
- Category Change workgroup is having its second meeting this weekend. In between, there was ML discussion, and the group also introduced itself to the wrangler mailing list and elicited a lot of feedback/ideas. Said feedback from wrangling ML included a lot of requests for documentation and transparency.
- The AO3 RAM upgrade went well: the resources for caching and mysql were increased, which will allow a slow increase in the number of invites going out.
- The Strategic Planning workgroup are preparing their survey of Volcom and are getting replies from wranglers.
- Aja’s OTW representation at Ascendio went pretty well, and around 15-20 respondents filled out the info request sheet provided at the OTW’s table.
- We briefly discussed the scheduling of the upcoming Board members blog posts series.
- We gave a short update on the state of the “meta on AO3” discussion: Specifically, our two big concerns are technical issues and enforcement. For technical concerns: can the archive handle the load, both in terms of volume and in terms of whatever different behaviour it could bring? Can we host meta *properly* such that it is findable (and avoidable)? We’re debating the details of this now. For enforcement: will our committees be able to enforce the sorts of rules we’re looking at? We know a lot of people are interested in the outcome of this discussion, and we’ll strive to keep you informed and come to a decision as quickly as possible.
- The Elections 2012 timeline is now live.
- A proposal on Emerita Board and Advisory Board awaits more input by e-mail.
- Alternative meeting times poll still needs more votes and will be re-sent.
Open session adjourned at 14:55 UTC.
No quorum, since Jenny S-T lost internet access. All items below will also be taken to e-mail or brought up in following sessions.
- We discussed two personnel items.
- We discussed clarifying minimum requirements for Board service and talked about enforceability in time for the upcoming elections. We agreed to start this by drafting realistic role descriptions.
- We mentioned potentially re-shuffling liaision roles.
- We acknowledged a suggested model of the OTW’s structure as a useful basis to start talking about skills, roles, and possible gaps in our organizational grid.
The meeting was adjourned at 16:00 UTC.
Minutes approved by the board on 4th August 2012.