ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
March 24th, 2012, 14:00 UTC
PRESENT: Ira Gladkova, Jenny Scott-Thompson, Kristen Murphy, Julia Beck, Nikisha Sanders.
ABSENT: Francesca Coppa, Naomi Novik.
DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
- Terms of Service updates for the AO3 are being discussed between the relevant committees – the current draft is on Basecamp for staffers who want to see.
- Sole G., Tag Wrangling and Internationalization & Outreach member, is drafting a proposal for a workgroup to change the media categories on AO3.
- DevMem are nearly ready to present their Grants proposal, and will then be working on grant applications for May.
- The survey project is nearly ready to go to the test group.
- We discussed streamlining or paring down org tools to suit committee needs, and agreed that we need more information on how committees currently use our tools, so will talk to Volcom first.
- Board will handle minutes or transcript for org-wide meetings while we discuss exactly what kind of record would be most useful and transparent.
- Ira presented the elections report. This will be discussed in more detail next time, but the following points were mentioned:
- There is not enough transparency. We had some really good communications work last time, but overall there are large chunks of the process that are just opaque. Part of this is stuff we know but haven’t really put out there so much, like how voter accounts work. Part of this is due to things being ill-defined in the first place, such as the role of elections officer.
- The role of the elections officer needs to be defined more clearly. This is an overall elections issue and affects sustainability. We have some notes on the responsibilities, but not much on authority, or on duration.
- Candidate chats and Q&A both serve useful purposes, but will need revising to stay manageable as the organization grows and we have more contested elections with several candidates.
- We also need to consider timing of the election, board handover and the October membership drive and how these interact.
- We agreed to start our discussion next week by considering the role of the elections officer.
- A confidential volunteer matter was discussed.
The meeting was adjourned at 16:15 UTC.
Minutes approved by the board on 29th March.