ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
February 10, 2011, 2:00 UTC
PRESENT: Hele Braunstein, Ira Gladkova, Allison Morris, Kristen Murphy
ABSENT: Rachel Barenblat, Francesca Coppa, Sheila Lane
- The minutes from February 2 were approved.
- March Drive: The proposed dates for the donation drive are March 21-28; Board members are asked to check for potential conflicts with these dates. DevMem has approached several professional authors about writing promotional blog posts for the drive, and one of them has offered to donate signed copies of books for fundraising purposes. Kristen will check with Legal to find out if there are any special legal considerations regarding our use of the books. International Outreach is considering a podcast project to promote the drive.
- Grants: DevMem is currently working on several grant applications. Allison encouraged the Board members to look at DevMem’s writeboards and contribute ideas/verbiage where we can.
- VolCom is establishing monthly drop-in sessions to provide training on the org tools. They are also finishing up chair debriefs and preparing an e-mail with resources for chairs.
- VolCom is developing a list of basic expectations for staff and volunteer conduct (such as “don’t out people” and “seek mediation inside the org rather than airing grievances outside”) and an associated disciplinary process. The goal is to be upfront about expectations and address any problems in a consistent and impersonal manner. These policies are currently in the brainstorming phases and will be presented to the Board for approval when finished. Related to this, we had a brief discussion of the distinction between project management and personnel management and the importance of working to develop people to help them become better assets to the organization.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:30 UTC.
Minutes approved by the Board on February 16, 2011.