Position Title: TWC Committee Volunteer: Proofreader
Reports to: TWC Committee staff
Time Requirements: 8-10 hours 3 times a year (February, May, August)
Term: 1 Year
Role overview: TWC proofreader professionally proofreads submissions for Transformative Works and Cultures according to Chicago Manual of Style 17 (CMOS), Merriam-Webster online, and the TWC style guide.
- Candidates will be given a brief unpaid test.
- Carefully read assigned HTML-tagged academic manuscripts to find errors in styling, spelling, and coding according to documentation and established English-language usage.
- Communicate with TWC production editor in a timely fashion about availability and task progress.
- Finish tasks by the proposed deadline.
- Experience preferred with proofing manuscripts for a university press.
Skills and attributes:
- Ability to spot tiny details, such as discernment among different kinds of dashes, spaces, and ellipses.
- Ability to spot and correct inconsistencies in presentation of spelling, numbers, italic, and other styling.
- Knowledge of American English spelling and typographic conventions.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to complete projects within a set time period.
- Proofreader will be trained in the required tools, workflow and Open Journal Systems.