Position Title: Tag Wrangling Volunteer
Organisation name: Organization for Transformative Works
Committee: Tag Wrangling Committee
Reports to: Tag Wrangling Chair(s), Tag Wrangling Committee
Time Requirements: Variable (1+ hour/week, plus initial training time); must log in at least once every two weeks
Term: 1 year
Role overview: Tag wranglers work within the Archive to ensure that the varied forms of user-generated tags are sorted and filterable, without changing any of the specific tags the users choose, so that the archive users have an easier time finding the type of content they are looking for.
- Sort and link tags on the Archive of Our Own according to wrangling guidelines
- Participate in discussions about wrangling guidelines
- Communicate with staff and chairs about availability and any issues that arise that may impact wrangling work
- Respond to comments and wrangling-related communications in a timely manner
- Communicate respectfully with other wranglers, org volunteers and users
- Respect the privacy of other wranglers, org volunteers and users
Skills, experience and attributes:
- An Archive of Our Own account and familiarity with the Archive
- Legally of age to open explicit fanworks in your local jurisdiction
- Fandom knowledge and/or research skills
- Ability to work as a team
- Commitment to diversity and willingness to work descriptively, not prescriptively, in order to respect user tag choices
- Flexibility to adapt to changing rules and guidelines as fits the needs of the Archive users
- Patience with the limitations of Archive tools
- Tag Wrangler volunteers will be trained in the tools, skills and tasks required for their role
To volunteer as a Tag Wrangler, you should:
- Please read Tag Wrangling Work Description for information about what wranglers do.
- Have an AO3 account you use regularly.
- We don’t accept applicants with new accounts. If you have an existing account but would prefer to wrangle with a different one, we can easily accommodate that if your application is accepted.
- Have at least 5 hours free time per week that you can consistently commit to wrangling for the next 3 months.
- Please note, if you foresee any big change happening in your life in the next few months (such as starting college/university, beginning a new job, having children, etc.), we would recommend that you hold off at this point in time from applying until you are further settled. We have a long history of losing very promising wranglers within the first three months of work or college because they thought they could work around big life changes and then discovered otherwise, and we want to help maximize this opportunity for you to become a happy and comfortable long term member of our team!
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be familiar with 3-10 of our fandoms in need (listed below).
- This is to ensure that there will be wrangling work available for you once you join.
- In the future, we’ll open recruitment for other fandoms as needed.
- Follow the application directions carefully.
- We don’t do interviews, so your application is all we will know about you.
- There is a part 2 to the application. Once you submit the first part below, you will be sent an email with a link to part 2. Please fill out part 2 within 3 days of submitting part 1. If you do not receive an email with the link to Part 2, please contact Volunteers & Recruiting via the contact form.
Please choose 3-10 specific fandoms from below:
All Fandoms – Any fandom(s) from this list with 40 or more works in parentheses. You can also filter by Media Type (such as Anime & Manga, Music & Bands and Video Games if that will help you find fandoms of interest. The same number limit of 40 works will apply.
- कुमकुम भाग्य | Kumkum Bhagya
- จูบให้ได้ถ้านายแน่จริง เร็วๆนี้ | Kiss Me Again: The Series (TV)
- รักวุ่น วัยรุ่นแสบ (TV) RPF | Love Sick the Series (TV) RPF
- รักวุ่น วัยรุ่นแสบ | Love Sick the Series
- เดือนเกี้ยวเดือน | 2 Moons The Series (TV)
- 声入人心 | Super-Vocal (TV)
- Chinese Comedian RPF
- Death Note & Related fandoms: familiarity with Japanese Live Action, and/or the 2017 Netflix reboot, and/or, the Japanese Musical a plus!
- Detroit: Become Human (Video Game)
- Digimon Tamers
- Digimon Savers | Digimon Data Squad
- Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters
- Eurovision RPF – Eurovision Song Contest RPF – Fluency in reading languages represented in the competition (especially Italian) a plus.
- Festival di Sanremo
- Gotham (TV)
- Mass Effect
- My Little Pony Equestria Girls
- My Little Pony Friendship is Magic
- Persona 3
- Persona 4
- Persona 5
- World of Warcraft
- Warcraft (2016)
This role is not currently recruiting personnel. Please check back later for future openings.