Gender and Sexuality, News of Note, Race, Ethnicity, and Nationality, Intellectual Property, Sports, Television
- The story of female volleyball fans in Iran was covered by many sites, including France24. "[T]hese sporting events are only for male eyes, since the 'morality police' — a special police force that seeks to fight 'moral corruption' and to combat those who violate Islamic law — have been systematically preventing women from attending volleyball tournaments since 2005. However, this prohibition does not apply to foreign women." While some women were able to get into games with the aid of foreign fans and by wearing the other team's jerseys, 50 women were arrested for attempting entry. As one woman said, "I don’t want to have to resort to ruses in order to support my team. I want to be able to walk into a sports stadium proud of my identity as an Iranian woman and a fan of my national team."
Event, Systems Committee
On SysAdmin Day, the OTW wants to salute the work of systems administrators everywhere for the hard (and sometimes thankless) work that they do. Celebrated for the first time in 2000, SysAdmin Day takes place on the last Friday in July.
News of Note, Race, Ethnicity, and Nationality, Studies, Fanfiction , Sports
- Blogger Christopher Olah took a look at some Fanfiction.net statistics. "In the following post, we will visualize the Harry Potter, Naruto and Twilight fandoms on fanfiction.net. We will also use Google’s PageRank algorithm to rank stories, and perform collaborative filtering to make story recommendations to top fanfiction.net users." The post includes a look at languages, ships, slash and more.
News of Note, Commercialization of Fans, Books, Movies, Fanfilms, Fannish Communities, Television
- Chart Attack featured the feminist comedy These Aren’t the Droids. "This little comic gem is a rebel song in the plainest sense: the future was designed by teenage guys, it looks like a permanent comic-con, and that's not a future that Neko Case or Kelly Hogan (or I for that matter) really want to live in. Instead, they proffer a more humane, more feminist version of tomorrow: guns that shoot feelings! A fundamental appreciation of literacy (but fewer shades of grey)! Everbody'd have more hair!"
Anime and Manga, Business Models, Gender and Sexuality, News of Note, Comics, Commercialization of Fans, Gaming, Books, Sports, Theater
- Attack of the Fanboy put a spotlight on gender segregation in gaming tournaments. "Keeping a few tournaments specifically aimed at females is not an ideal situation, but it does allow a woefully underrepresented part of the population a chance to compete on a professional level. To use the IeSF’s own justification for the initial segregation, many major sports use this method as well. Technically women are allowed in the NBA, but due to various reasons none have been placed on a team. That is why the WNBA exists, to allow a group who would be left out, a chance to compete professionally."
Event, Legal Advocacy, Legal Committee
San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) the world-famous, multi-fandom convention is about to kick off and the OTW will be there!
The Organization for Transformative Works, together with deviantART, will be hosting a panel titled “Comic-Con How-To: Fans, Love, and the Law” on Saturday, 26 July. The speakers will be Betsy Rosenblatt and Heidi Tandy from OTW Legal, and Josh Wattles from deviantART. They’ll be discussing the legal issues surrounding fanworks, so bring your questions about fair use, cease and desist letters, and any other legal issues that have come up in your fannish activities.
The panel will take place in Room 2 from 3:30-4:30.
Anime and Manga, Gender and Sexuality, News of Note, Audio Fanworks, Intellectual Property, Books, Movies, Sports
- The Washington Post was one of many media outlets covering the U.S. Trademark Office's decision to cancel the Redskins trademark registration. "The 99-page decision by the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board said the team’s name and logo are disparaging. It dilutes the Redskins’ legal protection against infringement and hinders the team’s ability to block counterfeit merchandise from entering the country. But its effect is largely symbolic. The ruling cannot stop the team from selling T-shirts, beer glasses and license-plate holders with the moniker or keep the team from trying to defend itself against others who try to profit from the logo."
Anime and Manga, News of Note, Race, Ethnicity, and Nationality, Music, Sports, Fannish Practices
The New Republic posted about fandom ethics in relation to the World Cup. "Objecting citizens may be overlooking the fact that students all over the world are learning about Brazilian arts, letters, and philosophy due to the attention brought upon the country by the World Cup. For example, this past semester, a student in my course on Latin American thought at Brooklyn College argued that the World Cup in fact represented a serious threat to democracy, given the authoritarian policies installed to organize and realize the Cup. He cited Leonardo Boff, a Brazilian theologian and philosopher, as a source for his concept of a just, participatory democracy...trying to track down all the consequences of buying a ticket from FIFA, coming to Brazil, and participating in the business surrounding the World Cup is impossible and does not get to the heart of the matter."
Volunteering, Elections, Volunteers & Recruiting, Web Strategy, Design & Development Committee
We would like to thank everyone who responded to our previous call for Tag Wranglers and Wiki Staff.
Today, we're excited to announce the opening of applications for:
- Elections Workgroup Volunteer: Candidate Liaison - closing 21 July 2014 UTC
- Elections Workgroup Volunteer: Communication Specialist - closing 21 July 2014 UTC
- Elections Workgroup Volunteer: Voting Process Architect - closing 21 July 2014 UTC
- Web Strategy, Design & Development Staffer: Web Developer - closing 21 July 2014 UTC
We have included more information on each role below. Open roles and applications will always be available at the volunteering page. If you don't see a role that fits with your skills and interests now, keep an eye on the listings. We plan to put up new applications every few weeks, and we will also publicize new roles as they become available.
All applications generate a confirmation page and an auto-reply to your e-mail address. We encourage you to read the confirmation page and to whitelist volunteers -(at)- transformativeworks -(dot)- org in your e-mail client. If you do not receive the auto-reply within 24 hours, please check your spam filters and then contact us.
If you have questions regarding volunteering for the OTW, check out our Volunteering FAQ.
News of Note, Intellectual Property, Fanfiction , Music, Fannish Communities, Roleplaying, Fannish Histories, Technology
At The Atlantic, Courtney Klauser discussed her education in social networks thanks to fandom. "Looking back, I most miss the personal anonymity; an online existence without photography or video, a time when it was normal not to use your real name, when people could interact without demographic data being harvested for advertisers or shuffling people into neat demographic categories in the name of improved user experience...Yet the online world where I first encountered the pleasures of fan culture no longer exists at all."