852 Prospect - Manual Import FAQ
Hi, 852 Prospect authors!
The 852 Prospect is still moving to the AO3 due to the state of its software (read more about this in our first post about the move), but there have been some unexpected delays with the code needed to do the automated import happen. For that reason, the Open Doors Committee will be emailing AO3 invitations (and explanations) to all of the 852 Prospect authors in the next few weeks. This will allow any interested author to set up their own accounts and import their stories to the 852 Prospect collection on AO3 if they don't want to wait. If you no longer have access to the email address you used on 852Prospect.org, or if you have questions not answered by this post, you can always contact Open Doors. (If you have verified your new address with Open Doors before, you don't need to do so again.)
To avoid duplicate stories when the rest of the collection is auto-imported in the near future, we request you post them using the manual URL importer feature. Doing it this way will ensure that all of the comments, kudos and hit counts will be on one story and that readers following old links from 852 Prospect will get to your stories easily.
There will also be two public chats, hosted by the Open Doors and Support committees, on Campfire (the online chat platform the OTW uses). The first will be on February 2 at 22:00UTC. The second will be on February 10 at 01:00UTC. (Click the links to see when the chat is being held in your timezone). You can access OTW’s public chatroom using this guest link.
How do I add my stories to the 852 Prospect Collection in the Archive?
For stories already posted on the Archive of Our Own:
1. Access your dashboard while logged in and click on "Edit Works".
2. Select the stories you would like to add to the 852 Prospect Archive collection, and click "Edit".
3. In the second gray box, there is a field for "Add to Collections". Start typing "852 Prospect Archive"; it will pop up as a suggestion. Click on it.
4. Down at the bottom, click "Update All Works".
5. Because the 852 Prospect Archive collection is moderated, your story/stories will not be added right away.
While importing stories to the Archive of Our Own:
1. While signed in, go to the 852 Prospect Archive collection page (http://archiveofourown.org/collections/852_Prospect_Archive) and click on the button in the upper-right hand corner, "Post to Collection".
2. Import your story using the "Import From An Existing URL" feature. (See below for instructions.)
How do I import stories from 852Prospect.org?
1. While logged in, click on the "Post New" button in the upper-right hand corner.
2. On the next page, click on "Import From An Existing URL Instead?" (also in the upper-right hand corner).
3. Copy the URL of your story on the 852Prospect.org website, and then paste into the window for URLs.
4. Select your story rating (required); pick one of five choices:
Not Rated: Select this if you do not wish to rate your story.
General Audiences: For stories on 852Prospect.org that were rated Gen or PG.
Teen and Up Audiences: Select this if you would like to rate your story for PG-13 audiences.
Mature: For stories on 852Prospect.org that were rated R.
Explicit: For stories on 852Prospect.org that were rated NC-17.
5. Select applicable warnings for the AO3 (required). (Any other warnings you would like to add to your story can be added under Additional Tags.) There are six choices, mark all that apply:
Choose Not to Use Archive Warnings: Select this if you do not wish to assign warnings to your story.
Graphic Depictions of Violence: For stories on 852Prospect.org that had a "violence" warning, or otherwise contain scenes of graphic violence.
No Archive Warnings Apply: Select this warning if you do not believe the AO3 warnings apply to your story.
Rape/Non-Con: For stories on 852Prospect.org that had a "rape/nc" warning, or otherwise contain rape or non-consensual elements.
Underage: Select this warning if your story contains an underage person in a sexual relationship with another character.
6. For "Fandoms" (required), start typing "The Sentinel" and it will appear as a suggestion. Click on it. (Add other fandoms if applicable.)
7. For "Category", please select whichever you feel are applicable, or else none:
Gen: General: no relationship, or containing relationships which are not the main focus of the work
Multi: Any combination of relationships, multiple partners
8. For "Relationships", start typing one character's name and select the correct suggestion.
9. Add any other tags (warnings, or tags that mirror 852Prospect.org categories) that you see fit. Please note that Additional Tags should not be hyphenated. (For a list of all the tags currently in use within The Sentinel fandom, see this page.)
10. Click "Import". It will take you to a preview screen of the story you imported (or, if you entered multiple URLs, links to preview screens for the stories you imported). On the preview screen for each story, there are four choices down at the bottom:
Post: Click this if you are happy with the formatting and would like to post.
Save Without Posting: Click this if you would like to save this story to your draft folder, to edit/post another time. (Please note, drafts are only saved for a week from the day they were first created.)
Edit: Click this if you would like to edit the story before posting.
Cancel: Click this to cancel, and start over another time.
How do I search within the 852 Prospect Collection?
To search within a collection, make sure you are on the 'works' view of a collection. You can browse to the 'works' view of a collection by clicking 'works' on the sidebar of the collection. You can search within the collection by clicking 'search within results' on the right hand side of the page, within the filters sidebar. This searches all the fields associated with a work in the database, including summary, notes and tags, but not the full work text. There are special characters you can use to further customize your results; the '?' button explains them in more detail.
Mirrored from an original post on the Archive of Our Own.