ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
May 26th, 2012, 14:00 UTC
PRESENT: Naomi Novik, Julia Beck, Kristen Murphy.
GUESTS: Aja, Katherine Darnell.
ABSENT: Nikisha Sanders, Ira Gladkova, Jenny Scott-Thompson, Francesca Coppa.
DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
- We agreed to open a second bank account with branches nearer our treasurer.
- We agreed to reprint the tote bags for donation premiums.
- We also approved 3 new staffers for Translation.
- Wiki are progressing with the forums
- Discussed options for outside coding help:
- Hiring employees is a massive commitment, huge complex overhead (taxes, insurance, management), and also just too expensive
- Hiring indie contractors for specific assignments is cheap, difficult, unreliable, slightly less but still bad overhead & tax issues
- Hiring developers via a reliable consulting company is expensive, but no overhead/tax issues and all-round easier
- We agreed that that basically option #3 is the only realistic one at the moment, but it’s a pretty big paradigm shift, and we could not afford to hire someone for anything like full time. This would not be a way of replacing our own volunteers, it would be a way to accomplish a particular task or provide a short-term resource to our own people.
- It would be a new element in the org ecosystem, so we would need to consider the implications first, and think about how it integrates.
- We considered how to revive the Curriculum project, to consider, support and expand educational resources related to fandom, including EFF’s similar work.
- We raised the idea of adding two seats to the board, to cope with liaising for the increase in committees as the org has grown since its start 4 years ago. We will consider more in future sessions.
- We discussed the general idea of personnel conflicts and when staff have to be moved around the org, and how this could be handled better. In particular, we know some volunteers are intimidated by the process and worried or scared about what might happen to them, and we’d like to make the process clearer in an effort to ameliorate this.
The meeting was adjourned at 15:45 UTC.
Minutes approved by the board on 10th July.