ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING 25 October 2015, 20:30 UTC
PRESENT: • Andrea Horbinski
• Cat Meier
• Eylul Dogruel
• M. J. MacRae
ABSENT: Soledad Griffin, Jessica Steiner
DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
1. Approved AO3 Docs staff request.
2. Approved Communications staff request.
3. Approved shared inbox service for DevMem.
4. Approved Abuse staff request.
5. Approved filing an amicus brief in support of a rehearing in Lenz v. Universal.
6. Approved Translation staff request.
1. Discussion of M.J. MacRae’s conduct in the elections chat on 23 October 2015. On the advice of Legal, M.J. will offer a public apology and the Board will clarify that she has been reprimanded, that she acted without the Board’s knowledge, and that we do not condone her actions. Voted to approve this course of action with M.J. abstaining. M.J. informed the other directors that she will take a two-week break from the Board.
2. Discussed contacting the organization’s outside counsel about contacting the 2015 Board election candidates as a group during the elections; decided not to do so on the grounds that it is unprecedented and might therefore be construed as an attempt to influence the election outcome.
3. Discussion of a few last details of and how to disseminate the 2016 budget, which should be approved in the very near future pending final numbers for one item from one last committee (for Archive analytics software).
4. Voted to approve Legal joining an amicus brief in support of a petition for a cert in Davis v. EA.
5. Voted to approve language from Legal clarifying elections provisions to a member, with one absention.
6. Approved VolCom staff request.
7. Voted to make M.J. MacRae an ex officio member of the Development & Membership committee as part of her duties as Treasurer. This position will end when her service as Treasurer concludes.
8. Discussion of Elections process and purview.
9. Discussion of donation refund policy.
10. Discussion of potential problems to which membership organizations are vulnerable along the lines of past incidents involving the Sierra Club and the Hugo Awards.
The meeting was adjourned at 22:30 UTC.
Minutes approved by the Board on 29 November 2015.