ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING 20 December 2014, 14:00 UTC
PRESENT: Andrea Horbinski
M. J. MacRae
DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
1. Approved minutes of 6 December and 13 December.
13-Dec-14 20-Dec-14 Change
Checking 279349.54 278596.99 -752.55
PayPal 19023.27 19702.92 679.65
CD 10138.08 10138.08 0.00
Total 308510.89 308437.99 -72.90
It’s been a slow week on income, but also on expenses, which is normal at this point in the month. We had the analytic program for AO3 go through, and the rest of the expenses were in shipping for donor premiums and the monthly fee for Quickbooks.
2. Update on insurance and servers: Sanders is still hoping to get insurance for the physical server machinery before the end of that year. As soon as that goes through she will negotiate with our colocation service about the terms of the contract for the rack and then authorize the purchase of new servers. This may wind up happening in the first week of 2015. Current estimated cost for this round of servers is $50,000 USD. Insurance is looking to be about $600.
3. Secretary update: minutes on the website will be current through the end of 2014 shortly, with thanks to Eylul for helping to figure out which sets of minutes were missing. However, Anna Genoese was not following the approved minutes form and did not note date of Board approval of minutes for at least some of the minutes she took. Andrea will be adding that information to the minutes in question over the next few weeks.
4. Board has agreed to Strategic Planning’s request to push the implementation of the strategic plan back to June 2015 in order to allow more time for feedback.
5. A round of congratulations to Nikisha Sanders on completing her full term on the Board of Directors, and our heartfelt thanks to her for continuing to serve as Treasurer of the OTW after her term ends.
1. Discussion of liaison transitions. Board has been approving committees’ requests to go without a Board liaison on a case-by-case basis in order to reduce Board member workload and to ease the eventual transition away from the liaison model.
2. Agreement that Sanders will sign the contract with a contractor for Systems on behalf of the OTW, since she will also be authorizing payments for work billed.
3. Discussion of drafting emails to various committees.
4. Discussion of proposal from Journal relating to an open source press. Journal had asked to authorize one part of the proposal before 31 December, but after extensive discussion Board decided that it was not possible to approve that expense request without approving the entire proposal. The proposed project is extensive in scope, and there is significant further discussion and risk assessment that needs to be done before Board can say yea or nay.
5. Discussion of lessons from 2014 for the 2015 Board and possible locations for the 2015 Board retreat.
6. Congratulations to Sanders again.
The meeting was adjourned at 16:30 UTC.
Minutes approved by the Board on 24 December 2014.