ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
6 April 2013, 19:00 UTC
PRESENT: Andrea Horbinski, Cat Meier, Eylul Dogruel, Ira Gladkova, Kristen Murphy, sanders
GUESTS: Anna Genoese, Claudia Rebaza, Curtis Jefferson, james_, Jessica Steiner, Lady Oscar, matty
ABSENT: Maia Bobrowicz, Franzeska Dickson
DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
1. The April membership drive is in progress and so far has raised US$30,488.03 from 1,124 donors. We discussed the costs of premiums and shipping, which amounted to approximately 8% of our income in 2012.
2. sanders expressed thanks to everyone who worked on the recent AO3 deploy.
3. Strategic Planning is hard at work on reports and surveys and is close to sending the Open Doors report to Board.
4. Financial update (see table below):
The last column is the change in balances from last week. In advance of the drive, $25,272.45 was transferred to the bank from PayPal. So as of Monday, the PayPal balance was actually $5,000. The rest of the big change in totals is attributable to the membership drive.
Also, our Directors and Officers insurance is paid up for the next year and the financials are nearly ready to go to Communications for the Annual Report.
5. Communications has been doing a fabulous job getting posts up to publicize the drive, and shared that we received lots of positive
responses to the Tumblr post about the costs of running the AO3.
6. We discussed the April org-wide meeting and decided that it will be held on April 27 at 05:00 UTC with sanders as host. The discussion topic is yet to be determined. Eylul reminded us to use 24-hour time whenever possible to avoid confusion.
7. Kristen announced that since her report at the beginning of the meeting, the running total for the membership drive has reached US $31,258.03.
1. We discussed the financial statements for the Annual Report.
2. We discussed the goal statement for the Annual Report and made a plan for completing the draft.
3. We discussed a question about fundraising that was posted as a comment to one of the drive posts, and talked about the membership drive and fundraising more generally. Fundraising is going very well, but there is still a lot of room for our fundraising efforts to grow.
4. Discussion of a confidential personnel matter.
5. Communications is interested in drafting a proposal about asynchronous cross-committee discussions. They suggest that such discussions should take place via Basecamp instead of e-mail, because in e-mail it is easy for some recipients to be accidentally dropped from the conversation and there is no easy record for those coming late to the conversation to look at. The Board felt this was very sensible and will encourage Communications to prepare a detailed proposal.
The meeting was adjourned at 21:30 UTC.
Minutes approved by the Board on 12 August 2013.