Board Meeting Minutes: August 11, 2012

ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
August 11th, 2012, 14:00 UTC

PRESENT: Kristen Murphy, Ira Gladkova, Nikisha Sanders, Julia Beck, Jenny Scott-Thompson.

GUESTS: Eylul, Aja, Curtis Jefferson.

ABSENT: Naomi Novik, Francesca Coppa.

DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING

  1. Approval to retroactively reimburse for the business cards for Ascendio.
  2. The QR codes printed on the cards pointed to a DW community rather than the intended tw.org page. We approved the temporary use of this new venue corresponding with the QR codes.
  3. Agreed to increase the webdev linode for a couple of months at a cost of $300 a month to support our new coders while waiting to get the new servers set up.
  4. Approved a request for RAID controller batteries for our oldest servers, which didn’t have them, to enable write-back caching.
  5. Agreed to add the following text to clarify elections eligibility: “A current staffer who joined at the beginning of the term in progress will be considered eligible if they have not been on hiatus for any part of the term, as they will have served a full term by the time of taking office.”
  6. Agreed to switch board liaisons for Volcom.
  7. Approved a proposal from Webmasters for managed Drupal hosting.

OPEN SESSION

  1. Strategic planning workgroup just finished their first round of surveys. Their subjects this time were the tag wranglers and TW staff. There were seventy respondents, and now they’re in the process of collating the responses. They also just posted to survey monkey and distributed the survey for volcom staff, the next group they’ll be talking to.
  2. The surveys were entirely anonymous but with an option to de-anon and talk with the group further. There was a subset of about 20% of respondents willing to do some follow-up.
  3. Aggregate info will be incorporated into the reports which will eventually be public, so volunteers will also get to see results in the longer term, but it will take a while to collate everything.
  4. Category Change workgroup have all signed off on their Board liaison agreement.
  5. Org-wide topic will be criticism & discussion spaces inside & outside the org.
  6. Potential topics for next org-wide include people management and elections.
  7. We have 5/7 responses for the meeting times poll, so that will need to wait for next time.
  8. A board member proposed that we post board minutes to the blog as well as the website. We agreed to make better use of the existing monthly newsletter for now, and revisit the question of anything more once we’ve talked to Communications.
  9. We agreed to approve minutes at the next meeting if they have not already been approved.

CLOSED SESSION

  1. We discussed staff status and workgroups. Last meeting’s proposal of making workgroup leads staff might not be something the board can do because it contradicts existing policy.
  2. We agreed to discuss more via email whether becoming staff could be by appointment or by becoming workgroup lead, or only by being on a committee.
  3. We approved making Strategic Planning a committee.
  4. In the long term, we’d like to hear from VolCom and current workgroups about what is and isn’t working about the workgroup model, with an eye to possibly revising it.

The meeting was adjourned at 16:30 UTC.

Minutes approved by the board on 18th Aug.