ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
August 4th, 2012, 14:00 UTC
PRESENT: Ira Gladkova, Nikisha Sanders, Jenny Scott-Thompson, Kristen Murphy.
GUESTS: Eylul, sunusn, Aja, FishieMishie, James_.
ABSENT: Julia Beck, Naomi Novik, Francesca Coppa.
DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
- Approved a new staff member for Comms.
- Approved an expense from Systems to use the managed firewall services from our colo host, as a setup cost of $100 and monthly fee of $50.
- Approved two new staff members for Wiki with MediaWiki PHP experience.
- Discussed board job description and minimum standards of work.
- Discussed org structure.
- Approved in principle a proposal from Comms for a video and podcast, and asked them to give us more details.
- Discussed a proposal for sharing individual board member opinions as part of major decision announcements on the OTW blog.
- Elz proposed on All-chairs mailing list that we add in some time for giving recognition to folks for help/work at the org wides. We did in the last one and it went reasonably well from a facilitation standpoint. We discussed how to balance positive celebration with constructive criticism, and agreed to continue the recognition time.
- Category Change are preparing for a public announcement.
- No update on the meta on AO3 discussion yet, as it is still being debated on the mailing list.
- Webmasters presented a proposal for managed Drupal hosting. tw.org’s migration to the newest version of our Content Management System has been delayed due to concerns about the resourcing that would be required to handle the upgrade. As such, we are considering engaging a vendor to 1) handle the upgrade process and 2) take on primary responsibility for security and other upgrades going forward. We will vote over email, to give people time to read it properly.
- Emerita and advisory board proposals are being discussed via email. Concerns were raised by staff after the last minutes, and these are addressed in the draft already.
- We approved Tara as new chair for Grants, as Kate has had to step down.
- megcwalsh has stepped down as lead of the Strategic Planning workgroup. We agreed to appoint Anna as the new lead, and will discuss staff position of workgroup leads on the mailing list.
- If we do designate workgroup leads as staff, it will only apply from the point they became lead forward. It would not be retroactive to before they were lead or apply to non-lead workgroup members.
- We reminded each other that appointments to the board are exempt from the eligibility requirements for elections, and that being on board qualifies as a staff position with regard to future elections.
- Some staff were upset by the bylaws change going public without a prior warning to staff. We agreed to apologise for that, and work with Comms to manage the balance between giving staff warning, and giving transparent public notice as rapidly as possible.
The meeting was adjourned at 16:00 UTC.
Minutes approved by the board on 11th August.