MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
June 9th, 2012, 14:00 UTC
PRESENT: Nikisha Sanders, Ira Gladkova, Julia Beck, Kristen Murphy.
GUESTS: Elz, Katherine Darnell.
ABSENT: Jenny Scott-Thompson, Naomi Novik, Francesca Coppa.
DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
- Approved Systems request for Percona database support contract
- Approved a new staffer for Webs
- Approved new Systems co-chair after Sidra’s resignation
- AD&T deployed to the AO3 last night but had to roll it back due to issues with caching the adult work warning. James_ and arrow have been doing tons of work, so massive thanks to them and to Kylie and Jenn from the testing team.
- Webmasters are looking into managed Drupal hosting for our Drupal 7 development and testing site during the upgrade. They may bring a proposal to Board soon.
- The visual design part of the Webmasters planned redesign will be separated out, to enable the upgrade and navigational changes to be done more quickly.
- AD&T request a continuation of their NewRelic account for performance assessment. Our Treasurer will try and negotiate a non-profit discount.
- Category Change workgroup are getting going, and Ira will be liaising with them.
- Grants are agreed to the idea of reaching out to committees to get their ideas about fundable projects before seeking out particular grants for those projects, so looking for money that fits expanding work we have going rather than coming up with work to fit the grants. They will be looking for smaller grants and things that tie in with our advocacy and admin work, as well as fitting our more technical side. The committee is going to be trying to arrange in-meeting presentations about what they’re doing and how for other committees to get input and get people thinking about what is potentially fundable.
- Kristen, Sanders and Kate are going to try to set up a meeting every three weeks or so to check in on all the money things.
- We discussed the purpose of the board approving staffers, and how we could make it more efficient, while giving appropriate oversight of board eligibility and giving Volcom sufficient room to work.
- We discussed general ideas about accountability and how to track performance without micro-managing or intruding too much into the work of committees, from either Volcom or Board.
- We discussed a confidential personnel matter.
- We discussed board workload, and agreed to try and hand over chair roles, staff roles and other day-to-day work to other staffers when possible, to enable us to focus on the strategic role of the Board.
- We also raised the ideas of having certain board members who aren’t committee liaisons, and just focus on strategy, and/or expanding the size of the board.
The meeting was adjourned at 16:10 UTC.
Minutes approved by the board on 7th July.