Board Meeting Minutes: March 31, 2012

ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
March 31st, 2012, 14:00 UTC

PRESENT: Jenny Scott-Thompson, Kristen Murphy, Julia Beck, Nikisha Sanders, Ira Gladkova, Naomi Novik.

GUESTS: Katherine Darnell, Elz, Aja, MelanieW, Kath Gee.

ABSENT: Francesca Coppa.

DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING

  1. A confidential staffing matter was discussed via email.
  2. The report on last year’s Election process was shared via email.
  3. A proposal for a Grants committee was shared and approved via email.

OPEN SESSION

  1. Kristen will talk to Kate about what is needed for a Grants liaison, and we will discuss via email how best to spread the liaisoning work and ensure Grants get the support they need.
  2. Naomi is behind due to personal reasons, but will update us on AD&T, Wiki and Systems next week.
  3. Communications are considering using 16bugs to manage enquiries. We suggest they research other solutions as well, as 16bugs is being phased out. We discussed that various committees may also need better tracking solutions, so AD&T co-chair Elz offered to look into alternative tools.
  4. Julia is helping with documentation on the internal wiki for board, and Alison has also joined Volcom to help with documentation for them.
  5. Org-wide meeting went well, though we are continuing to refine and get used to the new format.
  6. We will confirm via email how widely we can share the Elections report, and discuss the role of elections officer more in closed session.

CLOSED SESSION

  1. We discussed the elections officer report, and considered the purpose of the elections and how it interacts with our identity both as a fannish organisation and as a non-profit organisation.
    • The highest priority of elections is to get the best board members. Other priorities are to get good publicity for the org, to increase fannish stakeholder investment and to demonstrate that we are an effective non-profit who follow expected procedures, but they are secondary. We need to consider and acknowledge where those things may be in tension, and ensure that our procedure results in getting the best board members.
    • We agreed to discuss this further via email.
  2. A confidential staffing matter was discussed.

The meeting was adjourned at 15:30 UTC.

Minutes approved by the board on 7th April.