Board Meeting Minutes: May 11, 2011

ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
May 11, 2011, 1:00 UTC

PRESENT: Rachel Barenblat, Hele Braunstein, Francesca Coppa, Ira Gladkova, Sheila Lane, Allison Morris, Kristen Murphy

OPEN SESSION

  1. The minutes from April 13 were approved via e-mail.
  2. Kristen presented a report from the Webmasters committee summarizing their work during the 2010 term. (The report was delayed until now because of a problem with the website traffic statistics, which has since been fixed by Systems.) For future reference, the report is archived here: [link to internal wiki redacted]
  3. Kristen presented a revised draft of the new Open Doors website and the Board unanimously voted to approve it for launch.
  4. We discussed whether and how the OTW should respond to the news that Delicious.com has been acquired by AVOS. Allison will write a news post on the subject noting the differences between the Yahoo! and AVOS terms of service, but without a call to specific action.

CLOSED SESSION

  1. We decided to dedicate our next meeting to a discussion of how we see the org and of the diversity action items we’ve been brainstorming in Basecamp. Rachel suggested that we consider posting a version of the action items list on the blog to demonstrate progress and solicit additional suggestions.
  2. Allison reported that the strategic planning process will get underway this month; she will present an outline of the process at a future meeting.
  3. Conduct policy: Allison will send an e-mail to the Board for discussion.
  4. Sheila reported that she is preparing to file Form 990 and needs each Board member to send her their mailing address (either a home or work address is fine) and an estimate of the number of hours per week they spend on OTW work. The estimate should include all OTW work, not just Board work.
  5. Francesca reported that Vidding and International Outreach will be working together beginning in late May/early June to restructure the Vidding project in a way that is more inclusive of multiple forms of fan video. This will also require the help of the Webmasters in that it may be accomplished by developing an education website and splitting up our Web presence vis-a-vis fan video so that vidding education content is hosted under education, vidding advocacy content is hosted under legal, and the TO3 is more clearly inclusive. Vidding and IO are also discussing an inside project to prepopulate the AO3 with embeds representing many different kinds of fan video; this is awaiting the go-ahead from AD&T for widespread embedding. Vidding is also working on a bibliography and information about citing fanworks.
  6. Ira presented a draft document from the Tag Wrangling committee describing the committee’s understanding of its role and purview. The Board discussed the draft and offered feedback for Ira to take back to TW.
  7. Update on the situation with the unresponsive committee.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:50 UTC.

Minutes approved by the Board on June 1, 2011.